Sterilizing Base Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have collected some base rock from my beach. Could I pour boiling water over these rocks to sterilize them before I put them in my tank?

I bleached mine and then boiled them in water for 15 minutes... Then I soaked em water and used the dechorinizer drops and then boiled them again for 15 minutes.

(Probably overkill but I did that a tons of times and at least I know it works)

That still might not remove any nasty substances. I'd do that and soak in a large tub for a couple of days and test for nh3/no2 after 3-4 days to make sure there isn't anything dieing off.

Personally I wouldn't risk the possible contamination to the tank. Beach sand/rock is typically loaded with nasty stuff from drainage run off from streets.

I agree with Micah, maybe even get a copper test and test the water after it has been sitting in the tub.

Right now I love my fish and don't want to harm any of them.

I want to move base rock from another tank into my 210. Nothing is growing on it. I want to soak it in bleach water for a couple days, then rinse it, then soak it again in freshwater for a few days, then rinse and resoak in fresh for a few more days. Would you think this would bring any bad stuff with it? I also have a power head to aggitate the water.
Thanks

If nothing is growing on it and it's been in the tank for 2+ months then why do you want to go through so much trouble sterilizing it? You should be fine just moving it from one tank to another.

Back
Top Bottom