Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2005, 01:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stocking Ideas & Lighting Question

Just emptied out and cleaned my 30 gallon two days ago and filled it up again today, replacing the crushed coral with aragalive reef sand. Hopefully all the bacteria are still alive and kicking to help me along! Anyways, i have one clown left from my previous setup, only two fish fatalities in my first year of reefing, and a bunch of hermit craps, all in another tank for now. Here are some ideas for a stocking list. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Another Perc. for sure
Royal Gramma
Blue/ Green chromis 1or 2 (maybe)
Scooter or Lawnmower Blennie
Blue Neon Strip Goby

Coral Banded shrimp for invert

I would only choose 3 or 4 other fish besides the clown for a low stocking number. I dont have any live rock right now, just some fake white and brown lava like rock, but plan on getting some this fall after i finish paying for my truck "16 " and maybe some corals after that. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2005, 01:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
sounds good to me..!

StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Going to ther pet store today to get some new fish. Im thinking about getting a small carpet anemone for my clown instead of another clown. The bulb i have is a "Coralife 10,000K High-Intensity Purified Super Daylight Lamp" that is 20 wats. Will this bulb be enough? The guy at the pet shop told me it would work for some corals and maybe a carpet/bubble anemone, but id trust your guys answer better because of some of the stuff hes told me before. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2005, 05:20 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
do not add the fish all at once. Maybe one every 2-3 weeks or so. I think you should cut a couple of fish from your list as it looks to be a bit much for a 29 gallon.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think a carpet anemone would survive with that light and I believe they get pretty big.

Lose a fish or 2 and ger more shrimp or inverts.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Just emptied out and cleaned my 30 gallon two days ago and filled it up again today
This tank isn't even cycled yet?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Slow way down.. you need to cycle the tank even if you use things you had in your other tank.
Carpet anemone get real LARGE and will not be a good choice for a tank that size and they require good water quality and the lighting needs to be more.
Slow down read up on SW tanks, cycle the tank and then do fish shopping in about 3-4 weeks.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. You may need to wait and cycle your tank again. The substrate change, while a great choice, most likely devistated your bacteria bed. This will need to be re-established.
Quote:
The bulb i have is a "Coralife 10,000K High-Intensity Purified Super Daylight Lamp" that is 20 wats. Will this bulb be enough?
Sorry, this is no where near enough light to support an anemone or most all coral.
For now, watch water parameters for 2-4 weeks before adding anything else into the tank. Once all is well, add one fish at a time.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. I didnt make it to the pet shop anyways today since I had football practice late. Maybe ill just skip the anemone idea and go slowly with the fish. The tank and parameters are looking great after 8 days, and my one clown it enjoying being back in his larger tank after being in the one gallon for a few days. I agree i should wait longer for fish and will, just got a little excited about re-sstocking! Might add a few snails, hermits, and maybe a shrimp later on this week. Thanks!

Tags
light, lighting, stocking, stocking ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com