Stocking Suggestions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! Well I need some ideas on stocking suggestions. I want fish that are reef safe as I will go with corals down the road.

Tank Info:
55 gallon with 60lbs lr and 40 lb ls
10 gallon sump with a rio hf12 pump going to main tank - 600 gph overflow.
DIY 5' tall countercurrent venturi skimmer running on a mag 7
Via305 in the tank for added water movement... 315gph
I also have a canister filter laying around I can use for mechanical polishing if needed.
220w of VHO lighting

The tank will be running about 17x turnover.

Current Inhabitants;

Fish:
1 maroon clown
1 bar goby

Inverts:
CC Starfish
2 cleaner shrimp
1 crab
1 snail

I was thinking of adding the following -
1 or 2 more bar gobies... my current goby hides all the time
1 yellow tang
1 bicolor blenny
40 snails off ebay

Would there be any other fish that would go good in the tank that is reef safe? (I know my starfish isn't but I'm waiting for the starfish to live out its days or move to another tank because I'm afraid it will eat any corals I try to have.) Would the list of fish be acceptable? would 1 more bar goby be okay or do two?

Thanks

well first of all you may want to reconsider the yellow tang, your tank is not quite large enough to support one... Bi color blenny sounds nice.. Maybe a 6 line wrasse. How big is your maroon clown?? Maybe consider getting a smaller one to go with him. maybe you could sub the tang for a Flame or coral beauty Angel, i have read alot of people have had luck with them in reefs, with no problems at all... How about something like this??

2 maroon clowns
Flame or Coral Beauty Angel
1 Bar Goby
six line wrasse...

Plus you can add your snails and hermits (if you would like..)

This Selection sure would add color to your tank with a nice variety of fish...
HTH Good Luck!!!

BTW the maroon clowns are more on the agressive side of the clowns and also on the larger side.. I have seen 2 maroon clowns happy together but with them, its kind of hit or miss, so if you opt not to get another clown you could go with the bicolor blenny or maybe even a purple firefish... how old is your tank? if its fairly new be sure not to introduce too many fish at once. i hope i been of some assistance... Good Luck to ya!!!!

I've had my tank up for about 6 to 7 months. I've read that bar gobies should be kept in groups. I've also heard that you can't have more than one maroon in a tank.

What about this:
1 maroon clown
1 flame angel
3 bar gobies
1 bi-color blenny or firefish.. not sure which.

OR

1 maroon clown
1 flame angel
2 bar gobies
1 blenny/firefish
1 sixline wrasse

Oh, my maroon clown is about 1 inch big right now.

ive been told by a couple members around here that a yellow tang would be fine in a 55g

I have a yellow tang in my 55....IMO, it's really the only tang you can keep in a 55. Keep in mind, though, I only have two other small fish in there with him and I am at my stocking limit.

Also, you're taking a chance with an angel and corals 50/50 on whether they'll nip at them or not. My wife has begged me for a coral beauty (before I had the other fish) and this is what I always tell her. I've just read too many stories on here about people having angels that nip and then trying to catch them to remove them.

I believe that you will be OK on the yellow tang in the 55 as long as he`s not a giant one. No other tang will do in that size tank except maybe a Kole tang instead of the yellow. Also I have had to remove both of those angels from my tank for destroying corals. They will be a crap shoot for your future reef. I know of others who had the same problem. What about some schooling fish like some Green Chromis. Good Luck.

A yellow in a 55 is doable. I have also been lucky so far with a coral beauty not nipping at corals in my tank.

the angel.....she always bugs me to get a coral beauty......it's kinda funny, actually, she brings it up at least once a week. Of course, if I was gonna try it I'd have to get rid of my yellow tang.

So what do you think about this...

1 maroon clown
2 bar gobies
1 yellow tang
1 blenny - don't those come in purple/yellow bicolor?

Could I do 3 gobies with this list instead of 2?

you get about 11 inches of full grown fish.....that's gonna push it. 3 Gobies would be a bit much for sure. But I like your stock list!

I have to disagree with the Tang. He may be small now, but can reach (if you plan to have him long term) a full 8-9". Also, even a small tang need a lot of swimming room to thrive which a 55 gallon does not provide.
I know its an old argument, but I have seen too many post about YT aggression and diseases and I have to believe a smaller tank does help lead to stress which can bring potential problems.

Good luck Quarry :) Last time I told someone 4 tangs in a 90 was to much I became the "bad guy".
I would consider swapping one of the bar gobies for a firefish since the firefish will always stay out.

Its OK, I'll be the bad guy. If one person listens, thats one less dead tang. :?
This information is not just pulled out of the air. :wink: There is much evidence in this hobby to warrant the opinion.

Well it seems to be back and forth, back and forth.

I've heard you need to be cautious with angels but a Coral Beauty will not really mess with corals from user posts off google I've searched. What about the flame angels?

I've heard you need to be cautious with angels but a Coral Beauty will not really mess with corals from user posts off google I've searched. What about the flame angels?
Its a crap shoot with these fish. Sometimes they are fine with a reef, other times its "belly up to the buffet".
Any Centropyge has the potential to be a coral picker. You can try one, but be prepared to catch them. Impossible to tell until you get them home.

Back
Top Bottom