stocking tips on a 30 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esaone

Aquarium Advice Regular
After years of fresh/Cichlid tanks I'm in the planning process of setting up an empty 30g long for saltwater. The thing I'm certain of is that I want to use a False Percula Clownfish. The advice I need is what to stock around it? I really like the looks of the Yellowtail Blue Damselfish, so if that would be compatible I would be up for that too. Any other fish recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
[SIZE=+1]
[/SIZE]

The clownfish is in the damsel family and they could get a little nasty with each other. I had a yellowtail that did great until he decided to jump out of the tank. Damsels can be very nippy little fish. O. Clowns are great and usualy very hardy. 30g is going to limit the fish you can house. There are several gobies that would do well for you. A royal gramma is always nice to look at also.

I had both in my 29, they did great! The clown was the sweetest fish you have ever seen, but my clown was a little nasty. He bit me every time my hand/arm was in the tank for maintance LOL

I think if you look around, you could find a better fish than a yellow tail damsel. My yellows were the most docile of the damsels I used to have in my tank. Check liveaquaria.com or saltwaterfish.com. That will give you some ideas...

Here are a few choices for a 30 gallon tank. The seahorses in that link need to be in a species only tank.

Some of my favorites for smaller tanks are royal gramma, coral beauty (not reef safe), sixline wrasse or purple firefish. ALl are very colorful and tend to be swimmers so they will add nice color and movement to your tank.

OK, what do you think about the combination of royal gramma, sixline wrasse, False Percula Clownfish, purple firefish, and Yellowtail Blue Damselfish ( I really like this fish)?
Is this overstocked?

I'd skip the damsel. I've heard to many horror stories of them being nippy/aggressive to even bother trying one. :)

Are the gramma and the firefish really similar enough to cause problems? Both are very passive fish IME.

Not that I'm mr experience but every time I see a Yellowtail Blue Damsel in a tank it's usually trying to hide.

IME, my gramma and blenny did not get along because of similar body shape, so I could only imagine what a firefish and gramma might do...
my yellow tailed damsel was a very docile fish, never caused a fight. He was actually the one that was "picked on" most by my clown (I know they are the same family) but he never fought back...

My damsels killed off my royal gramma.
I agree with severum, the royal gramma won't get along with it's own kind but should be ok with a firefish (keep in mind, firefish are known jumpers). Mine carpet surfed, and still MIA.
If you are dead set on the damsel, add it last.

Of all the damsels the yellow tail is the least aggressive. At least IME. I have two in my 29 FOWLR tank.

In an effort to keep the bioload a bit, I would skip the damsel for the reasons already mentioned.

I guess I'll try Royal Gramma, Sixline Wrasse, False Percula Clownfish, and Purple Firefish.
Would that be OK?

i would say yes... thats a good list... and fi you feel like adding one more i would make it another clown, they look astonishing when they pair and mate

I have a royal gramma and a purple firefish in my along with a False Perc and a Bicolored Blenny. They all love eachother. Id drop the damsel, they are nasty and often times can be a pain in any tank. Just my 2 cents.

OK I now have this tank tocked with Royal Gramma, Sixline Wrasse, False Percula Clownfish. They are all great fish and I thank everyone for their help. I also got three blue legged crabs and I'm working on the snails.

Now, today I was at the LFS and they had banded shrimp. I thought they were quite striking and I was wondering if they would work well w/ my tank?

Back
Top Bottom