Substrate for 33 long reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matman1110

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got a new 33 gallon long (48"x13"x13"). I bought 20 lbs of crushed coral and already layed it down. There is probably about .5-1" of depth of the crushed coral. Right now I am just using this tank for a cichlid but I may change it into a small reef. Would u recommend me removing the crushed coral and adding different substrate altogether or could I just add live sand on top of the CC?

Thanks

I'd u have sand sifters like gobies the crushed coral is not good. They filter the sand through their maouths and to big of pieces aren't good for them. Plus they and a lot of marine fish burrow. I would get a substrate thar is .5 - 1.5mm or so

It should also have bits of crushed coral and shells in it to be natural for them like they have out in The ocean

i don't care about sand sifters. i would remove the crushed coral completely because it brings maintenance with it, and then use finer aragonite based sand. an inch or two of that is maintenance free. the cc will need to be vacuumed on a regular basis and you'll be vacuuming out a lot of critters you'll want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom