Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Substrate for 33 long reef

Just got a new 33 gallon long (48"x13"x13"). I bought 20 lbs of crushed coral and already layed it down. There is probably about .5-1" of depth of the crushed coral. Right now I am just using this tank for a cichlid but I may change it into a small reef. Would u recommend me removing the crushed coral and adding different substrate altogether or could I just add live sand on top of the CC?

Thanks

Old 12-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #2

I'd u have sand sifters like gobies the crushed coral is not good. They filter the sand through their maouths and to big of pieces aren't good for them. Plus they and a lot of marine fish burrow. I would get a substrate thar is .5 - 1.5mm or so

Old 12-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

It should also have bits of crushed coral and shells in it to be natural for them like they have out in The ocean
Old 12-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i don't care about sand sifters. i would remove the crushed coral completely because it brings maintenance with it, and then use finer aragonite based sand. an inch or two of that is maintenance free. the cc will need to be vacuumed on a regular basis and you'll be vacuuming out a lot of critters you'll want to keep.

Tags
long, reef, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com