Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2004, 08:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
i have never seen anything quite like that my best guess is that you are getting way to much light in there is this tank in front of a window that lets the sun hit it? i believe i read somewhere that to much light can make algae grow in the water since there are no corals or anemonies in there i would see what i could do by snuffing as much light as posible just a guess sorry that i cannot be of some real help here

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

WOW. I don't know how to help you- never seen ANYTHING like that. But is the tank near a window where it receives direct sunlight? That could cause an algae bloom... hope you get it clear soon!

Old 08-13-2004, 08:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
i googled green water...
The "pea soup". Free floating single celled algae, grows at such a rapid rate that it turns the water green.

Water changes are not very helpful, as the algae spores can be found in almost every water source. The only other ingredients needed for a green water outbreak are high nutrient levels (nitrate) and intense lighting.

As with most nuisance algae, this single celled planctonic algae is capable of photosynthesis (light is used to create energy). During lighting periods oxygen is being produced during this process.

At night, the algae uses up oxygen from the tank, this can, if serious enough, suffocate the fish. Tanks with green water should therefore be very well oxygenated.

most of the info also includes products to purchase this bit came from algone
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

My apologies for the almost repeat post- I thought there were only two pages of posts- didn't see the previous one! (Guess great minds think alike, eh, alrmc4?)
Old 08-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

BTW, is there any substrate in your tank? And is there just one LR? 8O
Old 08-13-2004, 09:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
two pieces of LR, no substrate yet.

There are actually two pieces of lr in this tank, about 20 pounds total, but you can only barely see the one. I was told not to add substrate until the tank was absolutly completely cycled, which I'm seeing from this forum may not have been totally correct. But I do plan on adding a DSB at the beginning of next month, I plan about 4" of sand, as fine as I can find. Once again, in montana this is gonna cost me $46 for each 25 pound bag!!! I also plan on adding a UV sterilizer next month, hoping that that helps at least a little with the algae growth. I was planning on ordering a showpiece of fiji in january next year, like an 85 pound piece. I am also planning a HUGE tank mod very soon, like in the next few weeks. I am going to break the tank down and have a glass shop drill holes for overflows, which I'm making out of 1/4" acrylic that the glass shop also cut for me for 15 bucks each. I'll be doing a complete photo shoot and putting on my website at www.nyghtone.com. I just hope it helps, cause then I can increase the flow to my sump to about 600 gph instead of around 200 as it is now. At this time I will also do a complete water change from the lfs here, it would be nice to know the problem before I start all of this so that it doesn't happen AGAIN when I put my tank back together!!!

THanks for all the suggestions, it's great to know that nobody has ever seen this this bad before, I WILL figure it out and let everybody know what finally cures it!!!

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice little clip on your website, NyghtOne... you into 3D design? Is that sunset real or did you create it?
Old 08-14-2004, 02:36 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Re: two pieces of LR, no substrate yet.

I also plan on adding a UV sterilizer next month, hoping that that helps at least a little with the algae growth.

I had a friend who had a problem with free floating algae. The UV sterilizer he bought cleared it right up. Of course, I don't think his problem was as severe as yours.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:44 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree- UV sterilizers seem to do a lot. You might check into getting one.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:20 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What are the phosphate leves?

Tags
suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com