Sump articles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for some data on Sumps and Refugiums. I am starting a 90 gallon reef in January and need to determine if I should have a separate sump/refugium running underneath.

Any good articles out there that can explain these things and help me determine if I need one?

Also, I see many folks just making them out of 18 gallon plastic tubs - are there some good DIY articles anyone knows about too?

Thanks so much!

Todd

if you have not seen our sump and refugium articles I would suggest starting there. If you have additional questions we can help or point to additonal web resources.

Glad to see you comming back to the land of the salty. :)

Thank you!!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome back, fishfreek! :) I have missed it. Freshwater just isn't doin' it for me and in my reading, I think I have been able to determine my problems with my first attempt. Patience, patience, patience.

I plan on setting up a 90 gallon (40 gallon is just too small) and letting it cycle for no less than 8 weeks whether it needs it or not.

I was just recently reading about sumps and refugiums and want to do some reading to see if they will help my 90 gallon setup. It is going to be reef - only three or four fish.

Do you use a sump/refuguim? What about you, NaH2O?

Thanks again for the articles and extra effort.

Look for my new tank photos around the end of Christmas.

Todd

Yes I use a sump and I will be setting up a refuge for my largest tank at some point.

I'm in the process of setting my tank up. We just put a coat of marine topside on the welded steel frame for the stand tonight (2nd coat, then time to attach the wood). I do plan on having a sump and refug. The refug. I'm going to put above the tank in a side cabinet. Haven't decided if I'm going to use the rubbermaid tub I have or make a sump out of acrylic.

Back
Top Bottom