Sump basics for confused beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, I have heard lots of good things about it too.

My actual question is do I mount the octopus by resting it on the sump floor like in this pic? Rocks just piled around it?

If I used the Coralife skimmer as shown in this photo it seems like I can have extra space for rock. Maybe it is supposed to rest on the floor and I am confusing the clip-on parts for if it can be used as an HOB instead

If it's an insump skimmer than yes, keep it on the sump floor. As for the coralife i can't tell if it's an hob. Google the model # and check.

Okay I am going to focus on keeping all my live rock wet overnight and rest on this. My largest pump is a Rio 1700, also have 2x Rio 1100's, several smaller pumps by other brands and koralia's in several sizes too.

I assume the Rio 1700 is the return pump?

The rust I mentioned earlier is not from the white tube itself only the clamp ring (don't know the technical name for it)

Here is the sock in question, which I could exchange tomorrow at lfs:

Yup looks like the rio1700 is your return pump. Keep an eye on It. Those aren't the best or most reliable pumps.

As for the hose clamp i would remove it and clean the rust off the pipe. Do you need the small pvc pipe attached to the return hose? If you do then I'd use some pvc glue and cement it. Rust and reefs don't go well together.

Also I'm a fan of the mesh socks. The felt ones not so much. Maybe see if you can exchange your felt for a mesh version? The felts are just harder to clean. Buy an extra or two so you can swap a dirty one for a clean one. To clean just toss it in the clothes washer with no soap.

Hi I am married to this thead's original poster, my name is Lila, he is Gabe. :)
Do you need the small pvc pipe attached to the return hose? If you do then I'd use some pvc glue and cement it. Rust and reefs don't go well together.

Ok we are back to work at this sump and ready to get it filled! Decided to skip the sock altogether.

the skimmer is in sump with every part in the diagram. :)

Then, in the smaller part of the sump I put in the Rio 1700 and found the "hardware plate" with suction cups to attach it to the sump floor.

********Still need to find the plumbing part which fits on to the return tube (which i think i found) between pump output and hose to DT******** I have a zillion bits and pieces I will post pics of, and I have some types of glue and sealant that may be appropriate, not sure.

Then once I find the missing bit I'm going to add as much base rock around the skimmer(and a heater/thermometer)

I figured out that the acrylic square piece is a lid that Covers about 1/2 the sump :) hooray! :D small victory there.

was thinking of drilling into live rock to "stack" on a support pole rather than a pile. have had too many scratches from rock avalanches in the FOWLR. will be attaching coral frags so the sturdier the better. Any links people can share? I searched DIY but am still looking at research on this technique. I have a drill that's a start!!

Thanks so much, here come photos.

Yup looks like the rio1700 is your return pump. Keep an eye on It. Those aren't the best or most reliable pumps.
Thanks for the heads up. A long time ago at a closing doors sale I picked up a SEIO 2600 pump

If I use this pump instead will it be too powerful and mess up water level in the sump? Or does a built in overflow give me leeway to upgrade from the previous user's pump?

Does the overflow need to be attached to any equipment within the sump or does it just fill the sump like a yard hose? Submerge the tip or make a short "waterfall"?

S/g @1.028 should I leave it alone until I'm through cycling, this is only day 5.

Also I'm a fan of the mesh socks. The felt ones not so much. Maybe see if you can exchange your felt for a mesh version? The felts are just harder to clean. Buy an extra or two so you can swap a dirty one for a clean one. To clean just toss it in the clothes washer with no soap.

Agreed on the felt socks being awful. I gave up on trying to clean the ones I had originally. I ended up using cheap panty hose on all of my returns with great results. And for 99 cents for an egg w/ 2 in there, I just throw them away and don't worry about cleaning anything out.

I think you may have 2 options here.
1. If your cycle hasn't really started and ammonia and nitrites are still 0 you could pull out 10% of your water and replace with RODI water to lower SG to around 1.025. Then save the removed water (as I said it should have 0 amm/trites) and keep for your PWC after the cycle (After adding a bit more to lower the removed water to 1.025 as well).
2. If the cycle has already gotten underway and ammonia or nitrites are raised then you could let the cycle complete. When you do your post-cycle PWC you can add water with a lower SG.

Here's a website that helps with salinity corrections for PWC among other things
http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/

Back
Top Bottom