Sump Experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll take a shot of our (very basic) sump setup later and post it for you. We need to take pics of the new corals anyways. ;)

Haha alright cool. I found out what a valve was for return pump lines. So thats out of the way. Im probably going to get an overflow box from eshopps for like 35$ and then get a nice return pump with more GPH than the flow rate of the bulkhead on the overflow box and then control it with a valve. Good suggestion HN1.

Here's our newb job.

The overflow area and skimmer is on the left, return on the right. Note the valve position on the return... vertical is full open, horizontal is fully closed.

Attachments

• DSC_0986.jpg
    DSC_0986.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0987.jpg
    DSC_0987.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0988.jpg
    DSC_0988.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 68
I see, as for the water flow, is the tubing just loose around in your sump? or have you fastened it down somewhere in the sump? Also, your return pump submersible?

Most of it is cemented and hanging from the tank. I'm working on a way to clamp it to the stand for a bit of added security, but it's solid. There are a couple of loose PVC pieces in the overflow area because I'm still looking at ways to improve it overall.

Yes, The pump is submersible. It's a a mag 7.

Nah i completely understand it now and know exactly how im going to set it up do to the help of HN1.

Haha, its not about the quantity man, its alllll about the quality. ;D

Unelss I missed it....I also put valves on my drains to my sump for fine tuning it. If you are using a hang on transfer you can slow it down just a bit with a valve and let the water fill the first stage a little deeper. I dont know of any other reason than quieting it down a little or your tranfer pump is to small.

Yep, thats what i planned to do. It was either take a risky chance and get a smaller pump, or the ball valve. So im going with the ball valve. Or just any regular valve. ;)

one more note on this topic.. I've also read that it's not good for the pump to restrict the flow too much. So when I plumbed my return lines, I added a "T" and re routed some of the water right back into the sump. this way, I can control the pressure up to the tank while letting the pump go at full speed. There are ball valves on each line.

Here's a pic:
19852-albums494-picture3351.jpg

That is the best way to do it, but you won't hurt the pump by restricting the outflow until you get quite close to zero flow. Throttling the suction is a bad idea though, which may be what you were told.

Back
Top Bottom