Sump needed or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am making a big leap from a 12gal Nano to a 50 gal show tank. If I have two canister filters with bio balls-mechanical-ceramic and a refugium, will I still need a sump. I do not plan on having fish. I am going to put a skimmer on the refugium (conv. 12gal nano) and drip system. I just don't have room for a sump. Will this do?

What do you plan on having in the system? You can use the canister filters with the bio-balls removed. Bio-balls tend to be thought of as "nitrate factories", and don't really fare well when you are dealing with corals. You can use live rock in your tank as your biological filtration. It's best to use at least 1# per gallon - 2# per gallon. IMO, you may be better off having the skimmer on the tank rather than the refugium.

And Welcome to Aquarium Advice!!

One other thing to note, although it is a bit off topic, is that most corals will do better in a system that has a fish or two. The corals feed on the fishes waste.

I agree with NaH20 as far as the canister filters and the placement of the skimmer. A sump is not a necessity. It does make a great place to put equipment such as heaters, skimmers, ect... It also adds some water volume to the system which is always beneficial.

Placing the skimmer in the fuge isn't a good idea IMO. One, you may skim out some of the organisms you are trying to cultivate in the fuge. Two, you want the "dirty" water going into the fuge so the macro and other critters can make use of the nutrients in it. Three, you want your skimmer to have a good supply of water from the surface of the main tank. If you have a sump, the overflow takes care of this. If you use one of the HOB skimmers, you will get a considerable increase in skimmer performance by adding a surface skimmer box on the skimmer intake.

The ideal place for a fuge is above the main tank so you can pump water up to it and have it drain back into the main tank. Often, this isn't possible though. You mentioned a drip system...how do you plan to set this up?

Welcome to the site. I think you'll find that it's enjoyable and informative.

to answer your question is short - no i do not think that it is a sump is a must for your 50 gal. as loganji said, a HOB skimmer would work well if you ahve enough room for clearence at the back (most need about 8-10").
you mentioned that you did not have room for a sump.. have you though about making your own? you could always make one that meets your spacial requirements
just a thought
peter

Just FYI, although most HOB's do require a good bit of room behind the tank, the Aqua C Remora or the Prizm will fit in about 3" of tank to wall clearance. IMO, the Prizm is not enough for a 50 gal tank though.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I think I did LOL, loganj when will captiveraisedcorals be up and running w/ livestock? I appologize gotbait :lol:

No prob MT79.
If I wind up making a sump (not out of the question) coulnd't I just X the whole canister idea. I can turn my 12 gal nano into a sump. Is it just a nuisance to have the sump below the tank? The tank I am getting is something out of a magazine, full custom job, got lucky from a neighbor with money so, I don't want to go cutting holes in the tank if I don't need to. But I don't want to compromise the health of the tank. that's why I'm getting all the info I can first. I'm in no hurry, just want to do it right. sorry for the life story.
I made a mistake, it's a 100 gal tank. The skimmer will go on the tank fine. Sounds like I really need to have all three, sump, refug, and filtration. I was going to put the drip system on the refuge. shouldn't I put it on the sump if I make one.
I only intend on putting in some soft corals, shrooms, polyps,, ricordia and the like. maybe a goby. I am also a big fan of snails and shrimp. Wouldn't these make uo for some fish? I've got two 95w CF, blue and white.

MT79,
I don't really know. I have run out of room where I'm at now. I have bought a greenhouse, but I have to go 125 miles, tear it down, transport it here, and set it back up. That will be the turning point I think. I have a 6' zoanthid tank in the works. As soon as I can get the stand built for that, I should be able to offer some really nice zoos. I can get cleanup critters now...page should be up on the site. I work full time, have an aquarium maintenance business on the side, and have three daughters, all in competition for my time...just not enough hours in the day.

Got bait,
Are you familiar with the Berlin system of filtration? If not, you might want to read up on it in our articles section here on the site. The sump should go under the tank. You're going to need more lights as well. Wish I could say more, but I gotta get to work...can't afford to get fired for being late :mrgreen: . Read up on the Berlin system and DSB's and I'll get back to you.

Back
Top Bottom