Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As big as you can fit under the stand. The bigger the better. Leaves lots of room for skimmer....etc. Just my opinion.

At the minimum, i'd use a 40g breeder tank. Don't use a 55g if you can help it. The 40g is wider, has no middle brace to mess with your setup, and is much easier to use etc.

I think it's also noteworthy to make sure you measure the distance between baffles/compartments for all your equipment- don't forget that.

Ok, I got my sump built and have my new tank set up but the sump lets out a small amount of mist that is wetting the inside of my stand. Is this normal?

Sniper, I checked all the plumbing and no leaks. I checked with a flashlight and I can see the mist coming from the sumps first chamber where I have my sand / live rock.

Rich42082 said:
Sniper, I checked all the plumbing and no leaks. I checked with a flashlight and I can see the mist coming from the sumps first chamber where I have my sand / live rock.

Is it where the water comes into the sump?

Sounds like you need to control the microbubbles from popping and water splashing, making the mist? Do you have a microsock from the return line going into the sump?

Yes it is where the water comes into the sump where water was splashing. I put an acrylic piece at the top of sump to stop the splash but now I have mist.

And no, no microsock on where the water goes into the sump. Is that the problem I am having?

Also the tube that has the water going into the sump is deep in sump about 5 inches from the bottom of sump. I'll post a picture this afternoon.

Have your line coming in below the water line. That's how mine is.

All good suggestions. Also- what about placing filter floss at the top of the chamber to prevent splashing and even a little added filtration.

Here is how mine is. Left side is where the water enters from the dt overflow.

Attachments

• image-1715260723.jpg
    image-1715260723.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 101
Mine isn't the most organized in the world... But here's mine

Attachments

• image-3798644241.jpg
    image-3798644241.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1331099454.jpg
    image-1331099454.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 110