Sump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am building a 25 gallon aquarium and using a 10 gallon for the sump. I know I could use glass or acrylic for the baffles, but wondered if there were any alternatives to these.

No, not really. You can buy the acrylic at Home Depot, and they can cut it to the right size for you at the store.

No, not really. You can buy the acrylic at Home Depot, and they can cut it to the right size for you at the store.

Very good to know. I read I should have it cut 1/4" shorter than the width of the inside of the sump... Is that right? Seems like a huge gap.

1/8" gap on each side of the baffle? sounds about right... remember you have to silicone it in, so the gap doesn't really matter. I would just guess that you wouldn't want the gap too small, because it would be hard to get silicone into.

Thanks again for the tip. Got some acrylic at Home Depot and a cutter for $25. Was tough to cut, but my baffles are ready to put in.

I think the last time I asked of they could cut acrylic to a certain size for you but I was told no, then again I asked useless customer service. Should prob just go ahead and ask someone in the store to do it because I HATE cutting acrylic

I think the last time I asked of they could cut acrylic to a certain size for you but I was told no, then again I asked useless customer service. Should prob just go ahead and ask someone in the store to do it because I HATE cutting acrylic

Yeah, I asked and got a "no." It was a beating to cut the pieces, but it's done now. I'll have the sump complete today.

My experience at HD w.r.t. cutting is that they can't promise a precise cut (or a square one), rather just a rough cut.

Also, make sure the silicone you use is aquarium safe, and OK for underwater use.

My Home Depot has a big cutting device that makes great square cuts. They cut all the acrylic for my sump (5 pieces) and they turned out perfect. Maybe depends on your Home Depot, but mine was perfect.

So, going to LFS to get some necessities. Gonna get some silicone there. Never used it before... Any tips or tricks I should be aware of?

Ruff up the edges of the baffles the silicone dont like to stick to the acrylic

Back
Top Bottom