sump/ref questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsikins00

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some questions about my sump/ref thing i'm trying to build.

1) Can you syphon water directly out of the tank into the sump? If so I was thinking about using an old intake to a power filter, that way nothing could get sucked up through the tube.

2) I have a 15 tall tank that will fit below my 29 gallon stand, and a few different pumps to chose from for the return to the main. (some power heads, and a 250gph pond pump, and a 500gph pond pump) Think these might work?

3) I can not find any other sand other than regular play sand, I have aragonite sand in the main and that helps buffer. I was thinking about putting 4-5 inches of sand in the refugium (I also have macro algae in my main tank I will put in the refugium) Will that change the PH, or with the aragonite in the main keep the PH up?

You should use an overflow. If you siphon straight from the tank, you'll lose power, break the siphon and when the power comes back on, you win a free trip to the carpet store. Needless to say VERY NOT recommended..You can get overflows for about $50 plus shipping for your size tank..

http://www.aquaplumbers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3 for example.

Return pump needs to be rated for what you are doing. Check and see what the flow rate is about 4' (Typical height). That will help determine your actual turnover. A tank, tub, bucket, etc all are viable options for sumps. Typically just a place to put the heater, skimmer and other trash we don't like hanging on or in our tanks ; ) Were itme and I had a 15 tall for my 29G Id be tempted to make it a fuge instead..

GL!

Yea, my skimmer leaked and there was about 4 gallons of saltwater on the floor. At least it was on tile, and we are on a bottom floor. You think that model

http://www.aquaplumbers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4)

would be ok for a 29 gallon, can there be too much flow? I know you should keep a sump and refugium seperate but can I put the heater down there? Or maybe filter and heater? Or would the macro algae clog the filter up?

The only real rule is to make sure the overflow will out drain the sump pump. That is, you really don't want a situation where you can flood your tank by cranking up your pump. So, if your getting (for example) a Mag 5 or MAg 7 ( http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_powerheads_pumps_danner_mag_drive_supreme.asp?CartId= ) which are 310 GPH and 480 GPH respectively @ 4 foot, then you should be good to go. The mag 5 @ 310 GPH will get you just over a turnover rate of about 10 x / hr. The 7 will achieve about 15 x / hr. (10 x being the very minimum in most cases you should shoot for) The 500GPH overflow is perfect since even with the Mag 7 wide open (In theory) you could not flood the tank. You can put whatever you want in the sump. I keep my skimmer (CPR SR 4) and heater in there as well as my return pump. As for putting macro in there, with that much turbulant water pouring in it will be hard to keep it from getting entangled in your return pump or clogging it. Not good. Also, you would need a light on it which introduces other complications..less you've little fear of electric shock and have a firm grip on DIY ; )

As for the overflow /sump you linked to, just check the dimensions to make sure it'll fit under your tank. Nothing worse than trying to figure out how to pound a square peg through a round hole with over 100# 's of sand rock and fish sitting in the tank ; ) Again, almost any container (That won't leach bad things) will work as a sump. Some folks have posted pics of using plastic, acrylic, etc..just no metal 8O

GL!

Back
Top Bottom