Sump / Refugium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have to add any new elbows to the PVC, it could restrict flow. I like the flexible pool grade tubing as it handles the PVC glue well.

i like spa flex or pool hoses so you can move them easily. also, 90 degree elbows and such will restrict flow. slight bends from flexible pipe won't be as restrictive. (as ray stated)

I've also been told that having elbows with pvc are a little louder with water trickling through.

But currently, I have the flexible tubing you two are talking about. I know its not as durable- so I was wondering if it was a bad idea. But it sounds like it's just fine.

What makes you think its not durable? Not like its moving, bumping up against stuff, or exposed to the elements. It'll be fine for the long haul I believe.

I was just thinking that it would be more prone to a small leak or burst. I just dont want to come home from vacation with a leak or burst from these flexible tubes. But again it seems that won't be a problem, I'm just being overly cautious.

The only concern will be how you connect the hose to something as far as potential leaks go. Not enuf pressure to burst it either.

So where in this sump would you all suggest I add my topoff water?

Here is what the chambers look like again:
ADHI%20Ref45%201a.jpg

Would you add the water to the left-hand side, or the right-hand side? I have opinions on either side. I wanted to know if:
1.) If I put the topoff water on the left side, will it negatively affect the pods and things in the refugium? (Freshwater, a difference in temp).
2.) If I put the topoff water on the right side chamber, it'll put this freshwater shooting into my display tank (mixed with some sediment that has been kicked up from the right-side pump chamber).

Where would you add the topoff water?

It doesn't really matter in my opinion. Not like the FW will stay clumped up. It'll dissipate and mix with the SW so fast, your fish and other critters won't know the dif.

I have it st up on my 125g and it is a god send! lol I don't have the alarm setup, the previous owner must have shut it off. :)

I am now even using it to dose kalkwasser. overall a very recommended buy. Cant' believe I spent the last year auto topping!

So here is my fuge right now. I have caluerpa in there right now with the lights running 24/7. How does this caluerpa growth look to you guys? Should I trim it and make it shorter in the fuge? Do I need a powerhead? Sorry- uploading from phone and it's tough.

ForumRunner_20120115_230316.jpg

I would not trim it for a while. Wait until it gets pretty thick. You shouldn't need a power head in there either. What gph is the return pump?

Return pump is 1200gph. Difficult to tell what is too much caleurpa in the fuge. I'd hate to overcrowd things. Once I get a yellow tang, I can snip some of it and put it into the DT. But until then- I'll have to make sure I cut it back accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom