Sump Setup Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Live sand is what I recommend but you can use the dry... the dry won't have the life right away and it will take more time for the refugium to work properly

SaltwaterNuB said:
I have a 50lbs bag oh silica sand, can I use that in my refug chamber? Or would live sand be better...

I wouldn't use silica sand. Dry aragonite or live sand will be fine. I prefer the dry myself unless the live sand is actually ocean sand (not in a bag).

The Turbofloater is a fine skimmer. It may not be the best choice if you plan on having lots and lots of fish but if you plan on having a fairly light bioload it'll be all you need. I'd even be happy to buy it from you if you ever decide to change it out. I used to use them on all the shop tanks. I used a 5 foot tall external Turbofloater on a 600 gallon display tank that I setup for a fish shop years back.

What kind of overflow are you doing on your display? Have you heard of the Herbie overflow method?

I purchased a set of 2 overflow boxes that hob. They're about 8" wide with the black slotted box that sits in tank. Tho is my first time with all I this. I'm hoping it turns out ok. I don't think I'll use both.
I've heard good reviews on this skimmer and for getting it so keep, I figure I'd give it a shot.

Oh okay I gotcha! It is really easy to make an internal overflow if you want to but you don't have to haha. Is your refugium hob aswell?

No my refugium will be in my sump. It'll be my second chamber, and sit on top of my l/r and sand.

Don't make that assumption quite yet. We'll see after its all up and running. In on call all next week, so work won't begin until sometime around the 15th. I'll post a lot of pics of my status an probably ask a lot more questions. Lol

Don't make that assumption quite yet. We'll see after its all up and running. In on call all next week, so work won't begin until sometime around the 15th. I'll post a lot of pics of my status an probably ask a lot more questions. Lol

I am always here to help! If you need anything ask away!

One thing that I was thinking about is; do I need to add a sack filled with carbon anywhere in my sump?

One thing that I was thinking about is; do I need to add a sack filled with carbon anywhere in my sump?

I have one in mine between my refugium and my return chamber... it helps with the smell and the water clarity. Also, I put the carbon in without washing it off first. That allows the carbon particles to cling onto unwanted particles in the tank and the protein skimmer takes out more gunk.

Ok so I'll probably put a bag or two in my return chamber since there is not a chamber between the ref and the return.

That will work or in the first chamber underneath where the water drains into the sump! Both Will work

Well here's one of my overflow boxes. I just dripped holes in clear box to mount to black box. This one went good. The other one that I have broke on me while I was drilling it. In so mad, but it's an easy fix. So far does it look ok?

image-1429225298.jpg

Attachments

• image-3768096090.jpg
    image-3768096090.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1678321103.jpg
    image-1678321103.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 100
Sand at the bottom of the sump as seen in the illustration you posted, will always cause you problems. The way your design is, you have water running through the sand before it reaches the return area. I don't think this will work.

Always rinse out the carbon before adding it. You do not want carbon particles making it to the display. If the skimmer skims more because of this practice, it's simply skimming out carbon particles. Putting carbon in the sump in a bag is not very effective. If you want to run carbon, a better way would be to run it in a reactor. Water must be forced through the carbon for it to be of use.

Sand at the bottom of the sump as seen in the illustration you posted, will always cause you problems. The way your design is, you have water running through the sand before it reaches the return area. I don't think this will work.

Always rinse out the carbon before adding it. You do not want carbon particles making it to the display. If the skimmer skims more because of this practice, it's simply skimming out carbon particles. Putting carbon in the sump in a bag is not very effective. If you want to run carbon, a better way would be to run it in a reactor. Water must be forced through the carbon for it to be of use.

Hmm... okay! Just some advice I heard about the carbon but I will take your advice about washing it. The water is forced through in my sump due to it being between my 2nd and 3rd chamber. It works really well. Thanks for the advise Mr. X! :)

I will rinse as well, what is a reactor? Also should I just eliminate the sand and just go l/r with chaeto on top of the rock?

You could use miracle mud! Mr. X what do you think about miracle mud? And a reactor is a cylindrical container that you can put carbon or gfo or much other things and and the water is forced through the carbon thus maximize the effectiveness of the carbon or gfo

The name pretty much says what it is. Will there be any problems by not having a chamber between my return and refugium?

Back
Top Bottom