Sump Tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamkush

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a 72 gallon saltwater tank, I want live rock, fish, corals, the whole deal. I origionally was going to do a canister filter, but I hear thats not the best route to go, true? Anyways, I have been doing a lot of reasearch on sumps, and I think i understand how they work, basically its a tank your overflow box drains into, then gets sucked back up the otherside by a pump, but what is in the middle? do i need a carbon filter? bio balls? should I run a hang on filter on the back of my sump tank? Just looking for some help, Thanks guys.

Also, it seems like the sump tank would just overflow, how do you make sure your pumping water in and out at the same rate?

There are many different models of sumps. For instance in my sump I have 3 chambers the first one I have the drain from the dt a protein skimmer and a heater the second.chamber is for.my fuge and the third chamber if where my float switch for my ato and my return pump. Now to insure that u have your pump returning the same as your overflow u can get a pump rated for around the same as your.overflow or u can get a bigger pump and put a ball valve on it to slow down the return rate. Here's a pic of my sump I hope this helps

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110910_094624.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110910_094624.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 83
So I read through the reef keeping article and that really helped a lot! But what I still do not understand is that after the water goes from the overflow box into the sump, is it just picked back up on the other side with some live rock and sand in the middle? or do I add a hang on filter full of bio balls? or carbon? it just doesnt make sence how running water through a sump can possible clean it like a canister would... any help?

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/Sump designs.html

that's no good if you want to use it for more than a skimmer compartment. just buy the largest glass tank that can fit in your allotted spot. if it's under your tank in the stand, measure that, and then get the largest tank you can fit. maybe sit the sump next to it if you don't have the room in the stand (72 bow stands aren't overly spacious).
after you've chosen a tank you will need to partition it for what you want. i like a 3 compartment sump: intake with skimmer, refugium, and return. you'll probably want a bubble trap at the end but it's easy as pie to make.

Back
Top Bottom