Super Newbie questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys, quick intro here. I live on the Central Coast in Cali and I am a firefighter.

I am going to aquire a 55 gallon tank here shortly and want to make a SW tank. I was thinking just fish with MAYBE a few mushrooms to add a little more color. Then maybe move on in a year or 2 with some coral. But for now just Fish only. I am having a VERY hard time with filters. I have none. I have had a few years off and on exp with FW tanks but 0 SW. Every shop I go to says get this filter or that filter. You need UV sterilation , then some say you don't. Prisim Pro filter? ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer??? Any other suggestions? I know to start off with live sand and some live rock. I was planning on getting some lava rock for a base and then live rock on top. Then let it cycle for a few weeks then slowly add fish. As for lighting it has a hood with 1 or 2 flourcent tubes in it. I was going to get 2 of the best bulbs I could find. 2, 40 watt bulbs with good coloring... Was planning on a few clowns and some more non aggressive fish. A crab or 2 and a slug...

Any other advise? Thanks !
Rich

Well I can tell you my setup, I just got a 50 gal a week ago, added some crushed coral and using a Filstar XP2 filter system. This filter states it pumps 350 gal/hr, so you should make sure you get something that will work for your 55. I think you should start it off like I am and go through the cycle process, then you can go from there. I have 4 damsels in it now for the cycling, it looks like its going well, they seem happy at the moment. Anyway, welcome to the forum. :mrgreen:

Great ! thanks ! That filter sounds like it would work quite well. how often do you replace filter media? Is it easy to change? Do you need another powerhead with it? I liked the idea of the ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer because of the UV and the ability to add the heater into the folter, this way there are no hot or cold spots in the tank.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

The Filstar is a good filter IME, but I would remove most of the foam filter pads and just keep one or two. The other baskets can be used for carbon, resin products or other removable filtration media. Foam pads will clog in short time and greatly reduce it's GPH.

The skimmer you've described above is up to you but the UV is completely unneccessary and the same thing can be accomplished with a >>quarantine<< tank. Introducing all new fish via QT prior to placing in the main tank will ensure no parasites are transfered with them.

The addition of 1 or 2 PH in the tank will aslo be a good idea to aid in the GPH as well as reducing dead "flow" spots. Make sure at least one is aggitating the surface for proper gas exchange. The filter itself will not be enough.

I would also suggest cycling the tank without the use of live animals, it is not neccessary. A raw shrimp or uncured LR will accomplish the same thing. You can read about that >>here<<

Cheers
Steve

The filstar has been working well for me so far. I am thinking of adding bioballs or some other kind of biological surface in one of the baskets like steve-s described. I cleaned it for the first time yesterday and the foam pad DID look kinda clogged. GL!!

Funnny thing is, since u mentioned it, I never realized you could add sand instead of CC. I've always run a SW tank with crushed coral and loved the look of them so I went with that, only later to read on this forum that a DSB would be a good choice. It's kinda hard to change now, so I'm gonna stick with the cc for now, plus it looks pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom