Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have a 90 gallon tank that has no hob filter or overflow setup on it (it is piped for overflow/sump, just don't have one yet). I have a small hob filter that clears up all the particles that float on the surface if I put it on the tank but I am told not to use it.. So is this ugly stuff on the surface a big deal?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

why were you told not to use it?

i would invest in some form of filteration, if its plumbed for a sump i would use it. how long has the system been up for and are you using live sand and live rock?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is actually cycling right now... Filled it a couple weeks ago.. Nothing in it but a couple hermet crabs and a couple snails that hitchhiked with the live rock.. Have about 50 lbs of live rock in the tank.. (will add more when I can afford it)

I was told that my system doesn't need a filter.. But the sump isn't there cause I am adding as I can afford it.. I will add a couple clown fish from my established 15 gallon tank when the cycle completes. I plan to use my small tank as a quarantine tank.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

you won't be able to get rid of the surface gunk without hthe filtration, and there is a slugde on it because most of the organics in the water float to the top. let it cycle the rocks and as soon as you can get the filtration

Tags
surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com