tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ojmenard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
these are my numbers for 55g tank

SG 1.025
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 1.0
Nitrates 20

I know the nitrites should go to 0 but they spiked to 5 (highest at any time i have tested anyway) and fell to 1 for the past 3 days. Do I just keep waiting it out or should I do something to help it along( water change or something)

another question i have is when to add snails, crabs and starfish type things. clean up guys.

Well all i know is that nitrite levels should be 0. nitrites cause stress to the fish and in some cases death.. so i wouldnt do anything with a nitrite level of 1. i would say wait until it goes below .35. anyone else want to chime in on this situation?

I would wait until they hit 0. If you try to add fish, they will contribute to the ammonia and possibly prolong your cycle. Hang tight, you are almost there!

Could he use a supplement to lower the levels though? Like Amquel+ or something that gets rid of nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia?

yeah i know they have to hit 0 im not in a hurry for the fish. was just asking if it stays at 1 for a few days at what point to i do something and what would i do (pwc).

second question was about clean up crew. when to add them. i have seen where people added them rather soon and i have heard not to worry bout them for months till your tank starts to get dirty?

I agree. Now is the most important time to be the way we all hate to be.... patient. ;)

second question was about clean up crew. when to add them. i have seen where people added them rather soon and i have heard not to worry bout them for months till your tank starts to get dirty?

I wouldn't add a CUC until the tank is fully cycled and there is a reason (i.e. algae) present.

lol you guys take my questions as impatience. its not. i just like to plan ahead and to know what is gonna happen next. such as if the nitrites decide to hang out at 1 for awhile. if i dont do anything thats fine was just wondering. also the clean up crew was curious if i need to start figuring what i am gonna get or if i need to wait for a couple months for the tank to get dirty.

but thats why i like this site everyone is still friendly and answers even though most of the time the answer is patience.

I wouldn't add a CUC until the tank is fully cycled and there is a reason (i.e. algae) present.

well i have plenty of purple corraline algae present but i dont think that i want the CUC to eat that (might be wrong).
another bit of info i kinda left out was i started with 40 lbs of dry and 40 lbs of cured rock.

Good for you for asking questions ahead of time and waiting until the right time. We've just all been there and know how much the anticipation of stocking builds. lol Sorry if I took your questions wrong or misunderstood where you were in the process.

No, the coraline is a good thing. I wouldn't seek out anything to eat it.

k so then im just waitng. oh the agony. j/k
thx for the info u guys really help alot.
saves alot of screw ups.

What does actively eat the coraline algae?

I believe there are snails that do consume it. Black nerites I think, but it's been awhile since I read a lot about coralline so I'd have to defer or do a lot more research than I can commit to right now. lol

I know for a fact my pincusion and pencil urchins eat it. If you have a mature tank and good water parameters, it grows back pretty quick.

I know for a fact my pincusion and pencil urchins eat it. If you have a mature tank and good water parameters, it grows back pretty quick.

Aha! The pencil urchin was on the tip of my ever older brain. lol

Just wait....and don't freak like I did when your whole tank turns brown with diatom algae. that is your next "phase" I wouldn't add a CUC till after that.

todays numbers
SG 1.025
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 1.0
Nitrates 5

i know i just need to wait for nitrites to get to 0. just wondering if it is bad that now my nitrates are going down and nitrites are still at 1. should i take a sample to LFS and let them test it? or is it normal to have nitrates go down like this. i thought from articles i have read that the nitrates would stay up till i did a large PWC.

What type of test kit are you using? Nitrate should increase vs. reduce unless you have a macro or DSB in there that allows it to be consumed.

API test kit

I know they should go up that is why i am asking they went up and are now coming back down and nitrites still havent went to zero they are at 1. I have a few aptasia in there and some purple coraline algae. other thatn that if something else is in there i dont see it.

Are you sure that you went through the proper Nitrate testing regimen? Test kit old? Sorry... other than those possibilities I'm at a loss.

Back
Top Bottom