Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

tank cycle

these are my numbers for 55g tank

SG 1.025
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 1.0
Nitrates 20

I know the nitrites should go to 0 but they spiked to 5 (highest at any time i have tested anyway) and fell to 1 for the past 3 days. Do I just keep waiting it out or should I do something to help it along( water change or something)

another question i have is when to add snails, crabs and starfish type things. clean up guys.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

Well all i know is that nitrite levels should be 0. nitrites cause stress to the fish and in some cases death.. so i wouldnt do anything with a nitrite level of 1. i would say wait until it goes below .35. anyone else want to chime in on this situation?

Old 07-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would wait until they hit 0. If you try to add fish, they will contribute to the ammonia and possibly prolong your cycle. Hang tight, you are almost there!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
is back to save the day!

Could he use a supplement to lower the levels though? Like Amquel+ or something that gets rid of nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #5

yeah i know they have to hit 0 im not in a hurry for the fish. was just asking if it stays at 1 for a few days at what point to i do something and what would i do (pwc).

second question was about clean up crew. when to add them. i have seen where people added them rather soon and i have heard not to worry bout them for months till your tank starts to get dirty?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. Now is the most important time to be the way we all hate to be.... patient.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojmenard View Post
second question was about clean up crew. when to add them. i have seen where people added them rather soon and i have heard not to worry bout them for months till your tank starts to get dirty?
I wouldn't add a CUC until the tank is fully cycled and there is a reason (i.e. algae) present.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #8

lol you guys take my questions as impatience. its not. i just like to plan ahead and to know what is gonna happen next. such as if the nitrites decide to hang out at 1 for awhile. if i dont do anything thats fine was just wondering. also the clean up crew was curious if i need to start figuring what i am gonna get or if i need to wait for a couple months for the tank to get dirty.

but thats why i like this site everyone is still friendly and answers even though most of the time the answer is patience.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
I wouldn't add a CUC until the tank is fully cycled and there is a reason (i.e. algae) present.

well i have plenty of purple corraline algae present but i dont think that i want the CUC to eat that (might be wrong).
another bit of info i kinda left out was i started with 40 lbs of dry and 40 lbs of cured rock.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good for you for asking questions ahead of time and waiting until the right time. We've just all been there and know how much the anticipation of stocking builds. lol Sorry if I took your questions wrong or misunderstood where you were in the process.

No, the coraline is a good thing. I wouldn't seek out anything to eat it.

Tags
cycle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com