Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tank cycled in 2.5 weeks?

Is it possible for a tank to completely cycle in 2 and a half weeks? It's a 36g tank with live sand, 36lb of live rock with plants growing on them. Also have few turbo snails, white legged hermit crabs, peppermint shrimp and a damselfish (only been in tank for 4 days). My ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all 0 and spiked a little last week. My PH is 8.0. Think it's safe to add more fish besides the damsel?

Old 07-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd give it some time to see how your parameters pan out.
Was the damsel your fish in cycle fish? Either way they are a holy terror and I'd personally get rid of it due to their aggressive nature.
I'd still give it a couple more days of watching your parameters to make sure they are steady before adding another fish.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

did you start the tank with rock or filter media that was already cycled?
I have had tanks cycle that fast, but only when started with a very healthy dose of seeded media.
but even then you will want to add new stock slowly over time to allow the bacteria colonies time to adjust.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This is my first tank so I'm not sure if the rock was cycled or not but I think so because it had a bunch of stuff growing on it when I got it.

The guy at the LFS said my tank was probably ready for fish but the damsel would help it even further. It wasn't until after I got it home that I read up on them and found out how aggressive they were. And of course mine is a tuxedo damsel and they seem even worse. Do most LFS let you return fish? How does that work?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Call them and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Fish R friends, not food!

If you haven't done a water change it is kinda weird for the nitrates to be 0ppm. Usually the result of the cycle is high nitrates....

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com