Tank is almost ready!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcoatney

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay I have a 46 gallon bowfront. It is set up with 40 pds of ls, 30 pds of lr(i am getting 30 more pounds this weekend), a fluval 305, and a 400 gph powerhead. Temperature is steady at 78 degrees, and sg is it 1.025. I have a few questions. First, I am purchasing some lighting off of the internet. I know I want coral in the future, so can someone give me some suggestions on some lighting for this. Is it hard to find lighting for a bowfront? Second, when I add my clean up crew, how many hermit crabs/snails can i add to this tank? All help is appreciated! :D

Some one asked a question which was better the bowfront or standard tank and I remember someone saying that lighting was hard for that type tank. But I do know that it can be done. I dont have a bowfront so I`m going to let someone who has one answer that one. You might not want a big Clean up crew at first since it is a new tank. Later as it gets established you will add more. I`m thinking about a half dozen each will be enough to start. Also that extra LR this weekend will be perfect for your tank

I was afraid that lighting was going to be tough for this tank. I also just bought a test kit today and havn't tested it yet. I added the live rock last weekend. If I test it tonight, will someone be able to tell if it has cycled? Thanks!

You`ll be able to tell. If ammonia and nitrites are 0 and you have nitrates then you should be OK. I would do a good PWC to lower the nitrates. And continue with them to keep them low.

I have a bowfront 46 too. You can look into the coralife aqualights if you want to go PC. They even have MH/PC combo's now. Any 36" lightstrip will work though. Not tough at all. If you have anymore questions about it, don't hesitate to ask.

I have a 46 gallon Bowfront and went with the T5 Nova Extreme lighting setup. It's a standard 36" size and with the standoffs it fit perfectly. I'd agree with ryguy that any 36" lighting setup should work just fine!

pendants and any hanging fixture will fix the problem for a bowfront. Unless you have a canopy, then you need to look into a retrofit. My lights are suspended and life is much easier.

I not sure how having a bowfront creates a problem. It's no different then a standard tank width-wise, it just has a bow. There are TONS of options for these tanks.

EDIT: Okay I looked up the T5 Nova Extreme lighting setup. Since it stands above the tank will it fit? It does say itt is 7" wide so how does this work on the bowfront? Thanks in advance, I just don't want to order it and then have it not work.

Here are some pics with my 46 gallon bowfront and the 36" lighting fixture. Just to give you an idea. I think most fixtures 36" would fit in a similar manner no matter what brand / type of bulbs you go with.

p.s. Sorry for the poor lighting, took these this morning before work... lights weren't on yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom