tap water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sooju

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to my LFS today - a new one, big with all salt water. The owner said they use tap water for all their fish and reef tanks. They run it right from the sink into buckets, mix in the salt (but nothing for chlorine) and add it right to the tank. Right away.

Is this totally nuts??? Does anyone out there use tap water for their SW tank? THis store has been in business for seven years and they've never had a problem. :eek:

I went to my LFS today - a new one, big with all salt water. The owner said they use tap water for all their fish and reef tanks. They run it right from the sink into buckets, mix in the salt (but nothing for chlorine) and add it right to the tank. Right away.

Is this totally nuts??? Does anyone out there use tap water for their SW tank? THis store has been in business for seven years and they've never had a problem. :eek:

that shouldnt be done. I would not follow in their footsteps! Use RO/DI water. didn't you say you went to a LFS, a new one. but then how have they been in business for 7 years???

It may be a new one to the OP.....?
I agree, that doesn't sound right, unless they have a prefilter. You should also pre mix your SW for at least 24 hours and adjust the temp to that of your tank's.

that shouldnt be done. I would not follow in their footsteps! Use RO/DI water. didn't you say you went to a LFS, a new one. but then how have they been in business for 7 years???

Sorry, I wasn't clear. New to me. But at that location for seven years, and using CHLORINATED TAP WATER, freshly salted. Something doesn't add up. They have tons of fish and inverts, their inventory is way too valuable to take that kind of chance. I'll have to go back another time when the owner is there to get the rest of the story.

There are some folks that do use tap but not me. I`m an RO/DI person. I`ll send you a link on why I dont use tap when I get home from work.

If it is truly chlorine in the tap water, aerating the water will remove the chlorine. If it's treated with chloramine, that's a different story altogether (takes much longer for it to break down). I would think that all their tanks are tied together and a water change would be done for multiple tanks at once in the back. Or are they doing individual water changes on each tank?
Regardless of what the store is doing, YOU should consider a RODI unit and aging the water mix overnight (24 hours is better) with a heater and a power head to stabilize the mix before doing a pwc.

Back
Top Bottom