Thinking about adding mushrooms..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazycajun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started about 7 months ago and everything is going great. I started with my 150 gallon FOWLR. Now I want to try easy soft coral. I have 150 pounds of base rock and about 40 pounds of live rock. The base rock is turning already pretty nicely. I have. 1 flame angel, a coral beauty, 3 chromis, snowflake clown and a black and white clown. Tank parameters are great but nitrate is at about 5. Would it be ok to try mushrooms and polyps?

Your angels might pick on them, some do. What lighting do you have. If your lights are okay, I'd give it a try. Shrooms are fairly forgiving coral.

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
Your angels might pick on them, some do. What lighting do you have. If your lights are okay, I'd give it a try. Shrooms are fairly forgiving coral.

--Adeeb

I have a marine land reef capable led system.

Crazycajun said:

Basically mushrooms are low light and low water flow type of creatures,..I'm sure your lighting system would be fine for now,..keep the mushrooms towards the bottom of your tank

Dary421 said:
Basically mushrooms are low light and low water flow type of creatures,..I'm sure your lighting system would be fine for now,..keep the mushrooms towards the bottom of your tank

Thanks.. Just wanted to add some color to the tank. Are they sensitive to nitrate? Are they can take it being 5 to 10?

mushrooms are great corals but watch out with the angels

Crazycajun said:
Thanks.. Just wanted to add some color to the tank. Are they sensitive to nitrate? Are they can take it being 5 to 10?

Don't think that'll be a problem,...as stated by others,..watch out for the angels,..maybe they'll touch them ,..maybe they won't

Crazycajun said:
Shrooms and zoas are fairly tolerant. You should be fine with nitrates < 10.

--Adeeb

Crazycajun said:

Unfortunately the reviews on this lighting systems say they aren't as good as they claim to be. You should be fine to keep shrooms and other low light corals. I would be cautious of any corals that require more light though.

Also as people have stated your angels may or may not nip at corals.

5ppm of nitrate shouldn't be a problem with shrooms.

Thanks. All I want is soft coral. To start. I know I will have to change a lot if I want to go to Sps and Lps.

Also I don't want to have to dose anything so would you have any good recommendations? Thanks for all the help.

Crazycajun said:
Thanks. All I want is soft coral. To start. I know I will have to change a lot if I want to go to Sps and Lps.

Yep,... All I wanted was a soft Coral or two also,. Now I have about three thousand dollars invested in a pandora forest of mushrooms,torches, hammers, and sps's,...and about $1300 invested in a led lighting system,.... I never in a million years thought that I would ever be dosing a tank either,...but here I am,...once you get that first Coral you'll be hooked like the rest of us,..just take your time , listen to the people here, read alot and enjoy the ride,...it'll only get better the farther along you get.

Thanks I ordered. So this will be my first mushroom.

Item Details:
Diver's DenHelfrichi Firefish (Pair)

Diver's DenMushroom Rock Rhodactis

Diver's Den Lyretail anthias trio

Crazycajun said:
Thanks I ordered. So this will be my first mushroom.

Item Details:
Diver's DenHelfrichi Firefish (Pair)

Diver's DenMushroom Rock Rhodactis

Diver's Den Lyretail anthias trio

Oh oh , you just opened the door !! Come on in .. And away we go... The rhodactis mushrooms are pretty neat , there's so many colors and sub species of mushrooms out there... I've got a ton of them already and more on the way.. Enjoy the build.

Well got the fish in picture of mushroom to come.

38104-albums1880-picture17773.jpg

38104-albums1880-picture17774.jpg

adeebm said:
Beautiful fish! Those helfrichi firefish must have cost a pretty penny.

--Adeeb

They're definitely not giving them away at my LFS lol. Everything looks good.

Back
Top Bottom