thinking of moveing to a smaller tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddiedellz

Aquarium Advice Regular
i currently have a 65 gal that for right now is seems like its going to be a lil too costly to stock the Live rock and any time i have to add chemicals do watter changes well i dono i was thinking i could have a nicer smaller tank if i where to port eveythign i have over to my 29 gal anyone have any imput on this?

if i where to do this could i port the sand l/r over filter and watter and have less of a new cycle to go though?

You didn't list how much LR/LS you have so I will make a few assumptions. As long as your LR is truly live it will become an instant bio filter and you shouldn't recycle. You may get some die off from moving the sand but if you can move it preserving the layers you should be alright. Also make sure you don't leave the LR out of the water for very long. A really nice small tank can be just as much fun as a large one.

I just moved from a 90 gal to a 20 gallon reef and I feel like it was an awesome move. I make a very good living, but with two kids in day care ($1200 per month) etc, the strain of having to save for the tank was becoming a hassel... Besides what looked like a scrawny 90 gal looks like a tropical paradise in the 20... I'm up to 8.5 watts per gallon and can grow almost anything.

Water changes are a snap, which means I can do them more often with real seawater vs mix.

And finally I don't have to listen to that damn Iwaki pump anymore!!!!

I feel like the weight of the world is off my shoulders and am looking forward to turning the 90 into a simple freshwater tank.

My only regret is getting rid of the live rock and much of the sand that I collected over the last three years...

Good luck with your decision.

Only real problems that I have owning a nano tank is that I have to be really picky about the corals and the fish I choose to add because of the limited space. Also many different kinds of macro algae hitch hike on corals/rocks and sometimes you just need a tang to control the algae growth or it can quickly over take the tank. Tangs are not recommended to be kept in nano's :(

Back
Top Bottom