Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly though for the price you got this tank at. All the headaches you are and are about to deal with will give you great experience in the SW world so once you get this thing under control you'll feel much more comfortable about it since you will have already dealt with most of the problems that occur in SW

I also have WORMS. Reddish orange ones, skinny & long... See em stuck to the glass occasionall... Ewww! Oh and just seen this guy :) he was Cruisin along the too of the rock, starfish I assume :)

Attachments

• image-313454989.jpg
    image-313454989.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 106
Do the worms have white bristles on their sides? If so these are bristle worms. DO NOT TOUCH! They will imbed those little bristles into your fingers/hand which is like fiberglass. They are a great part of the clean up crew though.

Mrc8858 said:
If its just mushrooms in the tank I would back your lighting off to just a few hours a day to battles some algae an things like that which will begin developing. Peppermint shrimp eat SMALL aiptasia and even then are hit and miss for the small ones. There is a type of butterfly that eats aiptasia (can't remember wish one).

Do you think it would be ok to add a fish? The aiptasia is definitely not small haha! I got one in there that is all of 3 inches! Huge!!!! I'm pretty sure it's just mushrooms but I see some tube things with fine tentacle like things sticking out in the underside of a rock.

Mrc8858 said:
Honestly though for the price you got this tank at. All the headaches you are and are about to deal with will give you great experience in the SW world so once you get this thing under control you'll feel much more comfortable about it since you will have already dealt with most of the problems that occur in SW

Absolutely! Lol!

Mrc8858 said:
Do the worms have white bristles on their sides? If so these are bristle worms. DO NOT TOUCH! They will imbed those little bristles into your fingers/hand which is like fiberglass. They are a great part of the clean up crew though.

No, but I seen those when moving it, BIG scary looking ones :/ these ones are threadlike and small... I can try for a pic, I seem em the most after I disturbed the sand and then started refilling.

Spotted said:
They sound like spaghetti worms. Also good for cleanup but can get out of control.

K! Hopefully they don't get too crazy!

I'm pretty excited to pick out something new for the tank. Livestock wise. Should I start with a fish or invert? I'm wary about adding a fish especially since I need to do research kn the ones I have. I really didn't want damsels after all I've read on them but here they are... Should I trade them in? I have a lfs that will take them.... The velvet is aggressive and so is that little black one, they take turns beating on the blue one. Even seen em go after the rabbitfish.

I would hold off on adding anything til your tank stabilizes. The damsels I would definitely trade into the lfs for credit if possible.

Mrc8858 said:
I would hold off on adding anything til your tank stabilizes. The damsels I would definitely trade into the lfs for credit if possible.

Ok. I'm so mad at myself! I was cleaning the glass with this razor blade tool and at some point a piece of the blade broke off and I can't find it anywhere!!! What do I do??? :( I'm such an idiot :(

Attachments

• image-3969283895.jpg
    image-3969283895.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 92
Ok. I'm so mad at myself! I was cleaning the glass with this razor blade tool and at some point a piece of the blade broke off and I can't find it anywhere!!! What do I do??? :( I'm such an idiot :(

i wouldn't worry about it. It will eventualy rust and disintegrate. It's such a small bit of metal I don't think it will do anything.

I beleive the butterfly Mrc8858 was referring to is a copperband. They are a biton the delicate side and I wouldn't put one in with damsels or until the tank is stabilized. As far as dealing with the aiptasia, I would do direct inject treatment with Aiptasia X, Joe's Juice, hot water, kalkwasser, lemon juice or whatever, after you have the water chemistry dialed in. They can be ugly and might hurt really small fish, so they're just on the future "to do" list for now.

Rutrag said:
i wouldn't worry about it. It will eventualy rust and disintegrate. It's such a small bit of metal I don't think it will do anything.

I beleive the butterfly Mrc8858 was referring to is a copperband. They are a biton the delicate side and I wouldn't put one in with damsels or until the tank is stabilized. As far as dealing with the aiptasia, I would do direct inject treatment with Aiptasia X, Joe's Juice, hot water, kalkwasser, lemon juice or whatever, after you have the water chemistry dialed in. They can be ugly and might hurt really small fish, so they're just on the future "to do" list for now.

Ok! That makes me feel better! I wanted to cry! I've been searching forever! At first I was running my fingers through the sand until I remembered this isn't my freshwater tanks and something could pop out and mess me up! Lol! The aiptasia is sooo darn big and popping up like double the amount as days go on. I hope the blade doesn't cut my starfish, as of now the sand has seemed to pretty much swallowed it!

No fish for now, I can deal with that :) rather be safe than sorry! Probably will take the damsels to the lfs Sunday.

Finally got the little bugger to sit somewhat still for a nano second to get a pic haha!

I thought it might be a chromis at first because of what looks like a forked tail, but the closest I can find to that guy is called a peacock or saphire damsel which is supposed to be blue. Sometimes damsels (as well as other fish) take on a different color depending on their mood (night time, fright, aggressive) Have you ever seen him turn blue?

Rutrag said:
I thought it might be a chromis at first because of what looks like a forked tail, but the closest I can find to that guy is called a peacock or saphire damsel which is supposed to be blue. Sometimes damsels (as well as other fish) take on a different color depending on their mood (night time, fright, aggressive) Have you ever seen him turn blue?

No, it's def black! Mean lil bugger too!

The copperband isn't the butterfly I'm talking about but it does resemble it. They are very similar though. Also for the razor blade just take a magnet and run it over the top of the sand til it grabs it cause even though its a little bit you still would not want to introduce rust into the tank if preventable.

Mrc8858 said:
The copperband isn't the butterfly I'm talking about but it does resemble it. They are very similar though. Also for the razor blade just take a magnet and run it over the top of the sand til it grabs it cause even though its a little bit you still would not want to introduce rust into the tank if preventable.

Awesome idea! Thanks a million!!

I'm sorry the fish I was thinking of doesn't look like the copperband should correct myself there but what I was thinking of is the Tahitian butterfly.

MrC to the rescue! One more small piece to find, but will have to wait till after work :/

Attachments

• image-2011545145.jpg
    image-2011545145.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 76
Just got home from work about an hour & a half ago and got right to work finding that last little bit of razor blade that was lost and than cleaned the glass. I know the lights have been on a little too long but I had to do it! The fish have been feasting off the algae I scraped off, it was cool :) I should shut the lights off but I must see what it looks like haha! Waiting for the water to clear up :)

Back
Top Bottom