Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Woke up this morning and the pump failed, sump just about overflowed. Hooking up the pump for the 150 to it now.... Super sucks that I have to work 11-11 today :( offered the fish a small pinch of NLS, not too interested. I have seaweed here for the Cichlids so I clipped a small piece to the tank and what I thought was some type of Foxface which is actually a scribbled rabbit fish (I think!) is enjoying some :)

Attachments

• image-30978543.jpg
    image-30978543.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Annakhil said:
I'm now very curious to see what all was in there, pics of the fish and star, possibly ?

Sorry, worked late tonight. Here are some terrible iPhone pics, doesn't help the tank is heavily scratched. There are 4 fish total. I couldn't get a pic of the 4th because its super fast but it's black with a little yellow on its tail. The tail looks like the one my Brichardi in my Cichlid tank. Its crazy how these fish have changes color since getting them home. that black and white one had no blue on it when i first seen it and the rabbit fish didnt have the "scribbles". There is also like 15 hermits and 15 snails. The Star doesn't really come out when the lights are on. It pokes its arms out here and there. I noticed it got more active when I offered food earlier today... Btw, how and what do I feed it? The last pic shows the fungus on the one fish I mentioned. I'm really not too sure if it even is a fungus? Might be an injury? You be the judge :) just need to know how to treat it! Lots more mushrooms are popping up... How do I care for them???

Attachments

• image-2285029063.jpg
    image-2285029063.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3470742860.jpg
    image-3470742860.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2786761615.jpg
    image-2786761615.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image-1048097034.jpg
    image-1048097034.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1718486243.jpg
    image-1718486243.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image-3608099974.jpg
    image-3608099974.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 95
  • image-4216060425.jpg
    image-4216060425.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2209565495.jpg
    image-2209565495.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 102
Somewhat better pic of the star, it was running for cover when I turned the lights on.

Attachments

• image-351683336.jpg
    image-351683336.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 115
Looks like you have a velvet damsel (black and white with the blue striping) and a Fiji blue devil damsel (blue with a yellow belly and tail) and you already ID'd the rabbitfish. (BTW, the rabbitfish and the foxface are the same family, so you weren't all that far off.)

If you didn't know already, damsels are very hardy (GOOD), but can also be very aggressive for their size (BAD). They kind of act like mbuna (African cichlids). The velvet damsel is supposedly one of the more aggressive of the bunch.

I belveie you also have a green brittlestar. I have never had a bad experience with one, but I have read that they can sometimes ambush small fish at night.

If you got the rabbitfish eating already, I can't imagine that you'll have issues with the damsels.

Did you figure out what happened to the pump that it failed?

Rutrag said:
Looks like you have a velvet damsel (black and white with the blue striping) and a Fiji blue devil damsel (blue with a yellow belly and tail) and you already ID'd the rabbitfish. (BTW, the rabbitfish and the foxface are the same family, so you weren't all that far off.)

If you didn't know already, damsels are very hardy (GOOD), but can also be very aggressive for their size (BAD). They kind of act like mbuna (African cichlids). The velvet damsel is supposedly one of the more aggressive of the bunch.

I belveie you also have a green brittlestar. I have never had a bad experience with one, but I have read that they can sometimes ambush small fish at night.

If you got the rabbitfish eating already, I can't imagine that you'll have issues with the damsels.

Did you figure out what happened to the pump that it failed?

Rabbitfish is eating very, very well! Loves NLS and seaweed! The black damsel is eating as well and so is the black and yellow fish but the blue one is not :/ I'm still not sure what is on its head :( I'm also not sure what's going on with the pump but I need it to start working to pump the fresh water I have made out of the garbage can and into the tank. It's testing high for trAtes, ammonia appears to be at .25 also..., can I contribute those readings to the move and stirring things up? I left the sandbed in during the move, also the tank hasn't been maintained at all for the last 2 months the seller said... I need to get a protein skimmer on this thing, anything else I should look into getting? I'm having a hard time equalizing the overflow and return and its making a slurping noise... Quite annoying haha! Work is making it hard to get this right! Can't wait for my day off :) especially so I can clean the glass, it needs it bad! Any advice on treating the blue damsel? I want to get it all fixed up so I can put carbon in the sump. I will try now to get a pic of the black and yellow fish. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR RESPONDING!! Greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Finally got the little bugger to sit somewhat still for a nano second to get a pic haha! I have mushrooms popping up everywhere! I'm worried because since I have the scape set up different than the sellers alot of them aren't getting any light... Would it be wise to not worry about it until I get the system stable? I really like them but I'm not sure if I like them enough to stress the fish with a rescape so soon, they have only been here since Saturday... I can buy more mushrooms in the future. Also what is the best temp? I'm sorry I'm a super noob to sw! I have them @ 78. I also have an aptasia (sp?) outbreak... And it is EVERYWHERE! I even have it on my glass!

Attachments

• image-259710661.jpg
    image-259710661.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 90
One more thing... I'm concerned the water isn't being oxygenated enough, I don't have much surface agitation.... I've tried positioning the return to break the surface more, but I just can't get it to bend that way...

78 is perfect. The mushrooms don't worry about they will grow back with a vengeance lol. Is the tank using a HOB overflow? And the reading your getting is expected after moving a tank with little prior maintenance. It doesn't look like it has much flow in it wither which would contribute to the built up debris/nutrients. How much gph do you currently have in the tank?

AndrewsPistol said:
One more thing... I'm concerned the water isn't being oxygenated enough, I don't have much surface agitation.... I've tried positioning the return to break the surface more, but I just can't get it to bend that way...

You'll want another pump blowing towards the surface. Is there only one circulation pump in the tank?

Mrc8858 said:
You'll want another pump blowing towards the surface. Is there only one circulation pump in the tank?

The tank is drilled on the back then PVC brings water to the sump, then the return line is hung on the back, i don't know the technical jargon haha! They didn't have any powerheads in it so I took one out of the African Cichlid tank and put it in, I kinda need it to mix water so I will buy another one Thursday (payday!) the heater can't really keep up with the tank either... It's maxed out and is constantly running.... Can I put it in my sump? My sump is kinda small... The one for my Africans that I'm building is 2 or 3x bigger....also they didn't have any filter floss in the sump the water flowed over bio balls. I packed the first drawer full of media but I need to clean this sump. I worried about emptying it when I got it in fear of a mini cycle so I left it in tact.

Here is some pics of the plumbing.

Attachments

• image-2553900925.jpg
    image-2553900925.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 61
  • image-180004944.jpg
    image-180004944.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3495590488.jpg
    image-3495590488.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2540542275.jpg
    image-2540542275.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 74
You'll want 4500 gph in your tank for softies 7500 for sps dominant and somewhere inbetween for a mixed reef. Also, for a tank in this situation I would break the cleaning down into biweekly events (the big stuff not normal maintenance) to keep from any major spikes. Like one 2 week period clean the rocks then part of the sand then the sump and then some more sand to really spread it out. Rushing in SW 99% of the time leads to trouble lol

AndrewsPistol said:
Here is some pics of the plumbing.

And I'm not too sure in the gph now that I swapped out the pumps.... Unless its the same regardless? The old pump is a rio 2100, the pump that's in it now that is originally for the 150 doesn't say anything... I'm not too sure it's even made for aquariums and I have to reduce the flow on the return with the ball valve because it pushes some serious water...

Mrc8858 said:
You'll want 4500 gph in your tank for softies 7500 for sps dominant and somewhere inbetween for a mixed reef. Also, for a tank in this situation I would break the cleaning down into biweekly events (the big stuff not normal maintenance) to keep from any major spikes. Like one 2 week period clean the rocks then part of the sand then the sump and then some more sand to really spread it out. Rushing in SW 99% of the time leads to trouble lol

Gotcha... The glass is horrid. That's my first priority... I don't mind some of the rocks... But I'd eventually like to totally replace the majority. I basically have a bunch of coral skeletons.... Not very appealing to me! So glass, sand & sump is what I will be putting more focus into :) thank you so much for your help! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed! I worry the starfish isn't eating and this blue fish has some funk on its face... Do you know what that black fish is? Would it be too soon to get something that eats aptasia? I read there are shrimps for that... It's everywhere :( how often should I feed these guys and what should my light schedule look like??

If its just mushrooms in the tank I would back your lighting off to just a few hours a day to battles some algae an things like that which will begin developing. Peppermint shrimp eat SMALL aiptasia and even then are hit and miss for the small ones. There is a type of butterfly that eats aiptasia (can't remember wish one).

Back
Top Bottom