Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrc8858 said:
Is it a 6' 150? If so I think its time to do some tang shopping! :)

The 150 isn't near being done haha! And it's only 5 ft :( the main occupant going in that is the Porcupine Puffer :) I cannot wait to get it! I don't expect that tank to start getting attention till after the move & then that's only if the 6ft Cichlid tank is done!

I just plugged the dimensions of the running tank into aqadvisor and its a 4 ft 75g. I need more sand for sure. I really don't have much! I have some that came with the 150 but its gotta be dirty because it stinks sooo bad... I might just buy a bag or 2 this weekend. I also plan to purchase some more LR Sunday... I don't feel like there is enough of that either...

My husband thinks I'm selling the 75 after the 150 is squared away.... Muahahahahaa!! Not happening! I'm thinking this 75 will be my peaceful tank chockfull of inverts and the 150 will be my predator tank. Planning is underway to make the sump a display too. I'm using the sump that came with the 150 on my Cichlid tank and will be fabricating the new one for it.

Soooo what can I stock this 75 with? I want to keep the rabbitfish but the damsels are on they're way out lol. Please tell me I can have a Foxface!

Ya you could do a foxface but if your keeping all the old fish too after adding the fox I'd say you'll have room for 1-2 more medium fish or 2-4 small fish. The sand I would just rinse and then lay out thinly to dry.

Mrc8858 said:
Ya you could do a foxface but if your keeping all the old fish too after adding the fox I'd say you'll have room for 1-2 more medium fish or 2-4 small fish. The sand I would just rinse and then lay out thinly to dry.

Just keeping the rabbitfish & star... Ok here's a better question... What would YOU do? ;)

I too would get rid of everything but your rabbitfish. Turn all them into store credit once they are healthy. The only thing is I'm not 100% on rabbitfish/butterfly fish compatibility since they have very similiar shapes and colors. After that though I would get one more large boddied fish like a yellow eye kole tang or marine betta (not safe with inverts) and then finish off with some small fish like a school of cardinals or dartfish, couple perching loners like a dragonette down the line, every color variation of the clown goby (they have a tiny Bioload), or a hawkfish. Also maybe a designer pair of clowns and finally a nice wrasse :)

Mrc8858 said:
I too would get rid of everything but your rabbitfish. Turn all them into store credit once they are healthy. The only thing is I'm not 100% on rabbitfish/butterfly fish compatibility since they have very similiar shapes and colors. After that though I would get one more large boddied fish like a yellow eye kole tang or marine betta (not safe with inverts) and then finish off with some small fish like a school of cardinals or dartfish, couple perching loners like a dragonette down the line, every color variation of the clown goby (they have a tiny Bioload), or a hawkfish. Also maybe a designer pair of clowns and finally a nice wrasse :)

This sounds amazing... I may have to stop my wc's and start googling :D

Bearchumjs said:
Gold headed sleeper goby!!

Omg. YES! I <3 him! Bring on All the Goby ideas I think they are ADORABLE!

So if I went with MRC's stock list is there wiggle room for a blenny?

Gotta have Clowns the husband insists! Thinking black ones? Maybe?

Just fished out the face, claws and legs of a hermit.... Are they cannabalizing each other? Is there not enough food now that I've cleaned the glass? What's up with that? I don't need this happening too often since I work so much I'm afraid if a ammonia spike if I don't find them soon enough... I can get a pic if it helps?

Could just be a molt and if you decided to go with gobies you could get a few just scratch say the school of firefish/cardinals. Imo they have the smallest Bioload in general of all the reef fish. Here's my rainford's goby :) He was thin when I got him but not any more haha

Attachments

• IMAG0406.jpg
    IMAG0406.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20121031_152143.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121031_152143.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 69
Mrc8858 said:
Could just be a molt and if you decided to go with gobies you could get a few just scratch say the school of firefish/cardinals. Imo they have the smallest Bioload in general of all the reef fish. Here's my rainford's goby :) He was thin when I got him but not any more haha

He is freakin BEAUTIFUL! Man, decisions, decisions! I like fire fish but don't care for cardinals... I'm not thinking it's a molt lol, there's meat attached to it!

Was the blenny idea a no go?

Also I mixed some water up yesterday morning and its sooo cloudy today :( my powerhead is covered in white and I can't get it to clear up. I used the salt they gave me because I ran out of the stuff I bought... Does that mean the salt was bad? It was all clumpy like it had gotten wet. I can't get more salt till Sunday... Should I just pitch this batch of water?

Poor lil fella! Looks like he's been ripped outta his shell :(

Attachments

• image-3876589644.jpg
    image-3876589644.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3507256338.jpg
    image-3507256338.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1915170689.jpg
    image-1915170689.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 75
The blenny is a possibility just have to work it into the list :) as for the salt its a yes and no. If it got wet then the calcium turned to calcium carbonate I believe which causes the "silt" its the same effect as if you overdose alkalinity. You can filter it through some Polly floss to rid it of the fine particles but the reef levels like calcium alkalinity a magnesium will have dropped due to it getting wet. There may be some more science behind it as to why you shouldn't use it though that I'm not aware of.. Ccapt is very knowledgeable on salts.

Mrc8858 said:
The blenny is a possibility just have to work it into the list :) as for the salt its a yes and no. If it got wet then the calcium turned to calcium carbonate I believe which causes the "silt" its the same effect as if you overdose alkalinity. You can filter it through some Polly floss to rid it of the fine particles but the reef levels like calcium alkalinity a magnesium will have dropped due to it getting wet. There may be some more science behind it as to why you shouldn't use it though that I'm not aware of.. Ccapt is very knowledgeable on salts.

Hmmm idk if straining it will be possible... I could put a filter sock on the end of the hose... I should probably just toss it and start over huh? Sucks tho cuz I was reallllly looking forward to cleaning the sand tonight!

Just get a second container for the water and pump the water into it through your filtersock with some poly floss in it. I wouldn't waste it and there aren't many corals in this ta k so the reef levels shouldn't be a major issue.

Mrc8858 said:
Just get a second container for the water and pump the water into it through your filtersock with some poly floss in it. I wouldn't waste it and there aren't many corals in this ta k so the reef levels shouldn't be a major issue.

Idk what I would do without you lol.

Well I filtered the water 3 times. Once thru a sock, twice with sock & folded up filter pad. Didn't help :( went thru with a wc & semi vac'd the gravel. The tank is so hazy... And that makes me sad.

Btw MrC, I think my secret Santa list has certainly changed now haha...

You can always send me some new wants or just post them on here cause I bet they are reading your threads lol. Sorry bout the water though. What you couldn't get out will settle in about 24 hours. It's ok I've had a couple bad mixes. It only becomes a problem if it blankets the corals.

Well my phone AND Internet got shut off the same day and that's why I haven't been on lately but everything is turned back on and good so here we go.... :)

Water cleared up from that bad mix and all Params been stable, everybody is happy & healthy and my mushrooms are growing SO big, soooooo I couldn't resist the urge to add something new... I know I should have waited! I got a Sea Urchin, Banded Coral Shrimp, Feather Duster & a Pulsating Xenia :) My Giant hermit is now enjoying my $12 feather duster.... Super sad face. I have done everything in my power to make him stop. Move him, move the duster etc. I feel like banishing him to the sump but that would be mean!!! What a jerk!

AndrewsPistol said:
Well my phone AND Internet got shut off the same day and that's why I haven't been on lately but everything is turned back on and good so here we go.... :)

Water cleared up from that bad mix and all Params been stable, everybody is happy & healthy and my mushrooms are growing SO big, soooooo I couldn't resist the urge to add something new... I know I should have waited! I got a Sea Urchin, Banded Coral Shrimp, Feather Duster & a Pulsating Xenia :) My Giant hermit is now enjoying my $12 feather duster.... Super sad face. I have done everything in my power to make him stop. Move him, move the duster etc. I feel like banishing him to the sump but that would be mean!!! What a jerk!

Yeah I could've told ya about feather dusters and hermits lol I bought one a few weeks back and in the same day, feather duster was being eaten by my blue legged hermit :/ I was so mad lol

But I'm glad everything else is going good for you!! :)

DanS180 said:
Yeah I could've told ya about feather dusters and hermits lol I bought one a few weeks back and in the same day, feather duster was being eaten by my blue legged hermit :/ I was so mad lol

But I'm glad everything else is going good for you!! :)

Definitely sucks!!! I really love that friggin feather duster!!

Thanks! Yea, it's awesome everything is going smoothly ;D

My rabbitfish has already been pinched by my shrimp :/ after I got everyone acclimated the rabbitfish kept going up to the shrimp with its mouth wide open, it was hilarious lol, I was like wth is it doing?! Then the shrimp pinched its lip! I sure hope they can learn to like each other!

AndrewsPistol said:
Definitely sucks!!! I really love that friggin feather duster!!

Thanks! Yea, it's awesome everything is going smoothly ;D

My rabbitfish has already been pinched by my shrimp :/ after I got everyone acclimated the rabbitfish kept going up to the shrimp with its mouth wide open, it was hilarious lol, I was like wth is it doing?! Then the shrimp pinched its lip! I sure hope they can learn to like each other!

Rabbit fish was tryna be smart and the shrimp said, hey! This is my house! leave me alone biotch! Lol

DanS180 said:
Rabbit fish was tryna be smart and the shrimp said, hey! This is my house! leave me alone biotch! Lol

Bahahaaaaa!!! U shoulda seen him, his mouth was wide open, he looked scared or something? lmao!! It was real funny :)

Back
Top Bottom