Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beengirl said:
Oh man, I have 2 dusters- I really hope my hermits don't start eating them. :( I didn't know they eat dusters.

Yeah I was unaware myself until my Halloween crab was sitting right on top of it, next day it was gone lol

Beengirl said:
Oh man, I have 2 dusters- I really hope my hermits don't start eating them. :( I didn't know they eat dusters.

It's really only my really big hermit thy shows interest in it :/

My Aiptasia X came in the mail yesterday.... Would I use that before or after wc time? Im due for a wc tomorrow and I plan on using it in the morning.

AndrewsPistol said:

My Aiptasia X came in the mail yesterday.... Would I use that before or after wc time? Im due for a wc tomorrow and I plan on using it in the morning.

Yeah my Halloween crab is the biggest one in my tank lol and I'm not sure of the aiptasia x... never had to use it :/ sorry

DanS180 said:
Yeah my Halloween crab is the biggest one in my tank lol and I'm not sure of the aiptasia x... never had to use it :/ sorry

Lucky! My tank came with aiptasia that was like 4+ in haha

AndrewsPistol said:

I've only had 2 Aptasia, but I would do it before the PWC. I used Aptasia-X also. That way if any little bits fly off while you're using it, they can come out with PWC. :)

Beengirl said:
I've only had 2 Aptasia, but I would do it before the PWC. I used Aptasia-X also. That way if any little bits fly off while you're using it, they can come out with PWC. :)

That's what I was thinkin too ;D I'm excited to use it! The directions say they "implode" haha.

AndrewsPistol said:
That's what I was thinkin too ;D I'm excited to use it! The directions say they "implode" haha.

Haha. It's not nearly as exciting as it sounds. :) as soon as you stick the needle in the mouth, it'll start to retract, so personally, I didn't see any "imploding". It just wasn't there anymore. Lol.

Jess' aiptasia is gonna Implode creating a blackhole and sucking us all in! Noooo! Lol :p

Mrc8858 said:
Jess' aiptasia is gonna Implode creating a blackhole and sucking us all in! Noooo! Lol :p

Lmbo! I knew it sounded too good to be true ;)

I forgot to tell y'all that I picked up a protein skimmer, it was free cuz it's broke lol. But I think I can fix it :) yay! It's a Red Sea Prizm, hope it'll do the job :)

Did a wc this morning... Waited 2 hours and retested salinity. I'm at 1.028?! Idk how it got that high... How do I bring it down? I don't have any water made... Will they be ok till tomorrow?

AndrewsPistol said:
Did a wc this morning... Waited 2 hours and retested salinity. I'm at 1.028?! Idk how it got that high... How do I bring it down? I don't have any water made... Will they be ok till tomorrow?

I would think it'd be ok... Can you go to the LFS and buy some RODI water? You just need to add unsalty water.

Bearchumjs said:
I would think it'd be ok... Can you go to the LFS and buy some RODI water? You just need to add unsalty water.

No LFS for 30 miles around :/ and I have to work today so time is my problem :(

Could probably go to the grocery store tho :)

I have it filled to it max so just remove a couple gallons and then add fresh back??

AndrewsPistol said:
No LFS for 30 miles around :/ and I have to work today so time is my problem :(

Could probably go to the grocery store tho :)

I have it filled to it max so just remove a couple gallons and then add fresh back??

Yep! That's what I would do! I would add 1 gal at a time and then test. I don't know how much it will take to lower the salinity to where you want it. (Where do you want it? I keep mine at 1.025)

Bearchumjs said:
Yep! That's what I would do! I would add 1 gal at a time and then test. I don't know how much it will take to lower the salinity to where you want it. (Where do you want it? I keep mine at 1.025)

I was aiming for 1.025 because I read that hydrometers are inaccurate so I figure if its off by 1 ( +\-) then that gives me some wiggle room :) I really need a refractometer!

Hopefully my son will cooperate with me after his nap so I can go to the grocery store! If now it will have to wait till I get outta work :(

On a good note I nuked all the Aiptasia this morning so for the time being I am Aiptasia free! Yay! The directions claim they "implode" I think they should change that to "melt" haha! Def not as fun as I thought it woulda been!

And my feather duster is either dead or flew the coop... Poor lil fella!

AndrewsPistol said:
I was aiming for 1.025 because I read that hydrometers are inaccurate so I figure if its off by 1 ( +\-) then that gives me some wiggle room :) I really need a refractometer!

Hopefully my son will cooperate with me after his nap so I can go to the grocery store! If now it will have to wait till I get outta work :(

Tell him you'll buy him a candy! It's so frustrating when they don't cooperate. Nothing like them screaming the whole time your in the store... How old is he? When I get gallons of water from the grocery store I let my kids push the button that fills the jugs. They have races. Makes it fun for them. And the bakery department at my store gives the kids a free cookie, and it is also by the water filling station. So I get away without having to buy candy. LOL!

I keep mine at 1.025 also since I use a hydrometer.

Did you make sure there wasn't an air bubble stuck to the hydrometer lever? Also you rinse it really good before and after in fresh water? One time I didn't rinse mine very well so the lever was a little stuck from dried salt. The reading was way off. Rinsed it really well and voila- it worked right again. I always bang it down on the table to make sure there aren't any bubbles in it.

Bearchumjs said:
Tell him you'll buy him a candy! It's so frustrating when they don't cooperate. Nothing like them screaming the whole time your in the store... How old is he? When I get gallons of water from the grocery store I let my kids push the button that fills the jugs. They have races. Makes it fun for them. And the bakery department at my store gives the kids a free cookie, and it is also by the water filling station. So I get away without having to buy candy. LOL!

I keep mine at 1.025 also since I use a hydrometer.

Did you make sure there wasn't an air bubble stuck to the hydrometer lever? Also you rinse it really good before and after in fresh water? One time I didn't rinse mine very well so the lever was a little stuck from dried salt. The reading was way off. Rinsed it really well and voila- it worked right again. I always bang it down on the table to make sure there aren't any bubbles in it.

He just turned 2 :) I try with the candy but that's not enough to get him out of the house, once we are in the car he wants the candy lol!

No, I've never rinsed it! I will do that now and retest. I had another cloudy mix :( I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... The first time I mixed the water using store bought water it was clear & perfect, the last 2 times I used my RO/DI unit and the water comes out super cloudy with a residue on the sides if the garbage can I bought to hold my water.

Rinse and test! Let me know the results. Also- im no help with the cloudy water mixing since I started buying the boxed natural seawater. When I mixed water with reef crystals it seemed like it never dissolved completely. I don't know, it was weird. I'd let it mix for 24-36 hours...

Bearchumjs said:
Rinse and test! Let me know the results. Also- im no help with the cloudy water mixing since I started buying the boxed natural seawater. When I mixed water with reef crystals it seemed like it never dissolved completely. I don't know, it was weird. I'd let it mix for 24-36 hours...

Yea I put a powerheads and airstone in it for about 28 hours or so?

This is after it set for about 2 min the needle was moving that whole time and settled in this... Do I trust it??? I'm so worried I'm gonna accidentally kill something.. This is a whole new world!

Attachments

• image-1254880898.jpg
    image-1254880898.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 78

If the tank holds an actual 70 gallons of water and the current sg is 1.028, and you want to get it down to 1.025 (and I did the math right), you would need to remove 7.5 gallons of water and replace with fresh. That shouldn't hurt any fish so long as there is no temp bounce, but it would be really tough on inverts to do all at once.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom