Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #1171
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I've dosed my tanks several times while trying to get control of the problem at hand. Is it best to go naturally? Yes. Do we need help sometimes? Double yes.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #1172
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

I'll probably be buying a tds meter, I definitely need one, especially since they are cheapish.
That's the main reason I finally got one (price dropped). That and I realized that if I get really good (pricy) prefilters I want to use them for as long as I can but definitely not to long.

Cyanno... I had that once and murdered it for good with a vigorous wave maker and lower stocking of fish and feeding. Doesn't work for everybody though.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #1173
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
I've dosed my tanks several times while trying to get control of the problem at hand. Is it best to go naturally? Yes. Do we need help sometimes? Double yes.
Yep, I agree but some people are very strict about the whole natural thing, which is fine with me, but this has happened before to me and I tried everything I could that was natural and nothing worked.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #1174
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

That's the main reason I finally got one (price dropped). That and I realized that if I get really good (pricy) prefilters I want to use them for as long as I can but definitely not to long.

Cyanno... I had that once and murdered it for good with a vigorous wave maker and lower stocking of fish and feeding. Doesn't work for everybody though.
Yeah, it's definitely my next purchase, along with a few 200micron filter socks.

Yep, I tried adding a 750gph ph to my system, fed every other day, but I never lowered my stock. I had three fish at the time though, the scooter blenny died of a collapsed stomach about two months after. I made a time lapse video of it on my YouTube account, it was crazy how well the slime remover worked.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #1175
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Yeah, it's definitely my next purchase, along with a few 200micron filter socks.

Yep, I tried adding a 750gph ph to my system, fed every other day, but I never lowered my stock. I had three fish at the time though, the scooter blenny died of a collapsed stomach about two months after. I made a time lapse video of it on my YouTube account, it was crazy how well the slime remover worked.
Yeah, three appropriately sized fish in a 30 certainly shouldn't be considered overstocked. I had 3 fish in my 30L reef and fed, lightly, about 4 times a day for years and never had more than one minor outbreak right at the beginning. Must be something else causing it. Glad to hear the slime remover worked out!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #1176
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe I just need to be more careful when I feed, I only feed once a day, but it's a whole cube of food that I made with rodi water and a bunch of fancy ingredients. I might get rid of a fish or two and downsize If I truly need to. I just don't see why, my filtration is great too.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #1177
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Maybe I just need to be more careful when I feed, I only feed once a day, but it's a whole cube of food that I made with rodi water and a bunch of fancy ingredients. I might get rid of a fish or two and downsize If I truly need to. I just don't see why, my filtration is great too.
A whole cube? I think thats too much adam! I feed a whole cube to MY tank..and ive got some big fishies!

Thatd take all the fun out of it man..dont do it!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #1178
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

A whole cube? I think thats too much adam! I feed a whole cube to MY tank..and ive got some big fishies!

Thatd take all the fun out of it man..dont do it!
I only put in a small scoop of actual food in each cube, I made them myself. It's about 25% food to 75% rodi

I know, but algae also takes the fun out of it.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #1179
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adam we all know you love your sps corals and you seem more like a coral guy for sure... My thought is that you get a differant tank for your corals and stock your 30 with fish? I dont know, thats what i would do if i were you.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #1180
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would love that, I'd do a ten gallon sps only with a bare bottom, it'd be super easy, but my parents won't let me have another tank. So for now, it's just me my indecisive self

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com