Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #1211
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I haven't been doing water changes because of the filter being messed up and my algae has slowed down drastically... Is this confirming my rodi is junk? I bought distilled for topoff water.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #1212
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
So I haven't been doing water changes because of the filter being messed up and my algae has slowed down drastically... Is this confirming my rodi is junk? I bought distilled for topoff water.
Sorry to hear that. Do you think changing the membrane and prefilters would get it in working order?

Oh, wait!!! You may need to check your flow restrictor. I had my flow restrictor go bad on me a while back add I had to replace it. I found that out only after I replaced everything on it and it still didn't work correctly. The good thing out of all that was I was able to get one for a 75 gpd membrane and I upped both the flow rate on my RO and improved my TDS levels out of the system. If that's your problem you can call BRS for the parts. The flow restrictor has to match the membrane.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #1213
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

Sorry to hear that. Do you think changing the membrane and prefilters would get it in working order?

Oh, wait!!! You may need to check your flow restrictor. I had my flow restrictor go bad on me a while back add I had to replace it. I found that out only after I replaced everything on it and it still didn't work correctly. The good thing out of all that was I was able to get one for a 75 gpd membrane and I upped both the flow rate on my RO and improved my TDS levels out of the system. If that's your problem you can call BRS for the parts. The flow restrictor has to match the membrane.
Well I bought a replacement kit today so I hope if will help.. Flow restrictor? I don't have a brs, mines from purewater club on ebay
Old 08-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #1214
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Well I bought a replacement kit today so I hope if will help.. Flow restrictor? I don't have a brs, mines from purewater club on ebay
I don't have a BRS RO filter either. As long as your filter uses the standard membrane they are all interchangeable. Almost every RO manufacturer uses DOW membranes. The good thing about BRS is they sell better quality replacement filters and parts than almost any other company for crazy good prices.

If your RO still gives you trouble after you use the replacement kit let me know. I'll try to troubleshoot it with you to get it working properly. Hopefully the kit you ordered will do the trick though.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #1215
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright, thanks, I'll definitely hit you up if I need to. Id like to upgrade slowly with it also, get the inline tds reader and stuff. I really hope it works, I want my tank to be happy again

Before I added the hawk I was getting crazy growth and good colors, I'm hoping everything will settle soon. Also, I took the canopy off for a bit, I really like how it looks without it now lol. The Black trim I painted on made it much nicer.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #1216
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just thought I would chime in. I also have the cheap unit from eBay ever since I got it ky algae growth has been crazy. I guess turning my facet all the way up it is not filtering filtering correctly.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #1217
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamontan
Just thought I would chime in. I also have the cheap unit from eBay ever since I got it ky algae growth has been crazy. I guess turning my facet all the way up it is not filtering filtering correctly.
Well, If they all use the same filters, why does that happen? Have you used a more expensive filter also? Also, I'm not sure what you mean about the faucet, mines connected to the hose.. Do you not have enough pressure?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #1218
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey adam whats the plan for the tank? How the corals and fish look? We have both had some dumpy luck lately :/
Old 08-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #1219
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Well, If they all use the same filters, why does that happen? Have you used a more expensive filter also? Also, I'm not sure what you mean about the faucet, mines connected to the hose.. Do you not have enough pressure?
I am using the filter that came with it. It is connected to the sink in the laundry room. When I turn the water up all the way it will make 7 gallons in around 45 minutes so I turned it down to run slower.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #1220
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Hey adam whats the plan for the tank? How the corals and fish look? We have both had some dumpy luck lately :/
Yeah I know.. It stinks.. Im slowly getting rid of my softies and some lps to get more sps. Today I'm meeting with mrc, a member here and im trading him all of my seriatopora and my acan echinata. He's giving me in return a zoa, chalice, and 2 sps frags. I'm probably not getting any more fish, unless my tank starts to get better fast. Maybe I'll get one in a half a year or so.. Idk. The corals aren't as happy as they were, but they are getting there. My purple plasma looks great, bonsai is encrusting and coloring up. Once the replacement kit comes, im going nuts on water changes, maybe 1 gallon a day till it's gone. That would work I think.. Im going barebottom if you didn't know. Should look good once I have it cleaned. My lfs has a barebottom reef tank that looks stunning so I'll get some tips from them today. That's about all!

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com