Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #1501
Aquarium Advice Addict

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #1502
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank is looking fantastic! Are you going to name the fish? I'd be so unoriginal... Clark and PJ... Lol! I saw a Clarkii at petco and thought of your tank. They are really pretty!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #1503
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs
The tank is looking fantastic! Are you going to name the fish? I'd be so unoriginal... Clark and PJ... Lol! I saw a Clarkii at petco and thought of your tank. They are really pretty!
Thanks! Haha my crazy friend named them! The clown is Ernest, the cardinal is Paul, and the shrimp is Lars. My sister surprised me the first day I got them. She pointed at Paul and said.. "That's a cardinal!! A Pajamee cardinal?" I think we have another aquarium addict in the family lol. I love how Ernest moves, but he hides soooo much. I'm sure that will change though.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #1504
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fragged up the birdsnest I got off you. Got the mother colony and 7 nice size frags off of it all coloring up nicely. If you ever want want let me know it'll be free lol.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #1505
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow.. It's been a while since I posted on here. That's cool, I might have to hit you up on that coral frag some time... Whenever my tank doesn't look like crap I guess.

It's definitely getting better, but I wish I would've made it easier on myself. It's impossible for me to really downgrade easily. I really want to stick with Ips and softies now, with easy sps. I'm pretty tired of worrying about calcium and alkalinity just because I don't have the time anymore. The main thing is the bryopsis, but hopefully the Gfo reactor Ill be getting or buying for Christmas will help.

Anyone have ideas on what I could do?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #1506
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
Wow.. It's been a while since I posted on here. That's cool, I might have to hit you up on that coral frag some time... Whenever my tank doesn't look like crap I guess.

It's definitely getting better, but I wish I would've made it easier on myself. It's impossible for me to really downgrade easily. I really want to stick with Ips and softies now, with easy sps. I'm pretty tired of worrying about calcium and alkalinity just because I don't have the time anymore. The main thing is the bryopsis, but hopefully the Gfo reactor Ill be getting or buying for Christmas will help.

Anyone have ideas on what I could do?
Well it all comes down to money Imo, adam. So it sounds like uou want to do what jack and ive got going? We have lots of lps and softies, but also some easy sps like meteor shower, purple haze, acro, etc. i'd sell off the tough sps and take it easy until you find more time.

If you have the money, though, buy a doser. It'll run you round 250 or 300 bucks, but if you can come up with the money it would totally solve your dosing problems
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #1507
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your magnesium running? I've heard from a couple sources that getting the magnesium elevated will kill it off. I struggle with the bryopsis as well, and have been dosing magnesium buffer and just changed from Coralife to Kent Reef salt hoping the reef salt will help to keep it elevated. Low magnesium also leads to calcium and alkalinity precipitating, and could be the source of that issue.

Last night I scrubbed a lot off, sucked out what I could, and then changed out the filter socks as well as changing out the GFO in my reactor. I recently added a tomini tang in the hopes he'll eat some. Next step is getting a sea hare...
Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #1508
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly you shouldnt be having dosing issues. Water changes should.be plenty cause you really don't have all that many hard corals. I barely need to dose and when I up my water changes a bit I don't and I have roughly 60 corals in my tank with most being lps or sps.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #1509
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The dosing is for the byropsis more than anything.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #1510
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
The dosing is for the byropsis more than anything.
He was also saying he'd like to steer away from sps due to not enough time to maintain spot on alk and cal. If you ask me sps is hyped up to be much tougher then it really is imo. Once things are tuned in and on track its pretty easy with the correct equipment.

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com