Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll start doing half a cube then, easy enough. I took some pics today, I think they might actually turn out well. I took them from the top of the tank, so its a new perspective.

Gboy66 said:
A whole cube? I think thats too much adam! I feed a whole cube to MY tank..and ive got some big fishies!

Thatd take all the fun out of it man..dont do it!

I absolutely wholeheartedly agree. A cube of store bought frozen food is worth about 6-8 feedings by my technique. I cut them in half lengthwise and each half gets cut into thirds or fourths. Gotta be so so careful to not build up DOCs, even with excellent filtration.

There isn't any reason for you to remove a fish. You can easily have three fish in your 30 and tons of SPSs without algae. You could simply target feed your fish with a bulb pipette. That way, even a slow feeding bottom dweller can get everything he needs without using excess food. I even kept a cleaner wrasse healthy for over four years feeding like that. Didn't stop him from jumping out of the tank for the third and final time though. >_<

Just to say, my 30 needed 3 power heads for proper flow (enough for corals and elimination of dead spots).

CorallineAlgae said:
I absolutely wholeheartedly agree. A cube of store bought frozen food is worth about 6-8 feedings by my technique. I cut them in half lengthwise and each half gets cut into thirds or fourths. Gotta be so so careful to not build up DOCs, even with excellent filtration.

There isn't any reason for you to remove a fish. You can easily have three fish in your 30 and tons of SPSs without algae. You could simply target feed your fish with a bulb pipette. That way, even a slow feeding bottom dweller can get everything he needs without using excess food. I even kept a cleaner wrasse healthy for over four years feeding like that. Didn't stop him from jumping out of the tank for the third and final time though. >_<

Just to say, my 30 needed 3 power heads for proper flow (enough for corals and elimination of dead spots).

Like I said, these aren't store cubes, I've made them. I'll definitely cut back though. I've been slacking with not spot feeding, but thats just because I've been so busy. I definitely don't have any dead spots. If anything, I would tone it down, I'm starting to get parts where the glass shows sometimes. They are a 750 gph and a 350 (something around that)

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with your tank. I don't know alot about anything you guys are talking about, but if it were me I think I'd check the RODI unit filters before rehoming a fish. You only have 3 of them right? Best of luck to you. I hope you are able to get it figured out soon. I'll be following along and crossing my fingers for you!

Bearchumjs said:
I'm sorry you are having a hard time with your tank. I don't know alot about anything you guys are talking about, but if it were me I think I'd check the RODI unit filters before rehoming a fish. You only have 3 of them right? Best of luck to you. I hope you are able to get it figured out soon. I'll be following along and crossing my fingers for you!

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm definitely going to buy an tds meter for it before I go crazy trying to catch a fish and give it to someone. if I see it's off, I'll keep the fish and buy another filter. Thanks again!

I really only used the store bought frozen food example as a size reference. Home made frozen food was always my preference too, but for an example I wanted to use something readily familiar.

Gotcha, I was saying it was homemade because lowered the amount of food in it. 25% food, 75% rodi

The cyano is getting worse, I'll probably do a huge water change today and suck up all the nastiness.. Or maybe I'll wait for the slime remover to kick in.. Idk.

img_2035434_0_af9d5cf382d4eecb0c85444d4baaced1.jpg
img_2035434_1_e8a0e85c158bed2813bfd98f42885b44.jpg
img_2035434_2_a50774776fb44c940bdb03d276e35614.jpg
img_2035434_3_71304e9194897b052e5f04e422ea3af7.jpg
img_2035434_4_f87a2c97eb06dcdeca8376f836117347.jpg
img_2035434_5_ddb663a8b83f098cd87246081d195123.jpg
img_2035434_6_f5fb42e039c1960cd2b5bbaab2019d20.jpg
img_2035434_7_3d4a1d955a0e260631b048d8bef758c0.jpg

okay heres some pics that i took the time to edit in photoshop. i only change the white balance and sometimes the brightness using curves and the brightness adjustment. the hawk is really over saturated, but you couldnt see him chilling in his powerhead if i didnt. the rest are pretty accurate to what they look, some are in blues, some in both white and blue combined.

Yeah. It's my favorite coral, so its nice to know the name. It's common name is from Ora, but the ones they have look a lot different.. Good enough for me.

I had a guy from my reef club come over and take the Xenia from my Xenia scrubber. He also bought my darth maul palys from me, so that's 10$ for some fish stuff! Also, I bought all that stuff a few days ago, and it costed about 60.00.... I checked my account right after and it took the money, I went back on today, and the money is back?!?! I'm not sure what to do..

So you spent money, it showed online in your bank account that you spent it, and now it is no longer showing the withdraw? You were not getting a refund correct? I've had something like this happen before and I advise you to not spend that money again. Sometimes a transaction will show in your account but be a pending charge. Then it will disappear but come back in a few days as the actual charge. Keep an eye on your account for a few days. It should appear again.

When it happened to me I said- oh cool. They messed up! Free stuff. Let me go buy something else now.

It messed everything up. LOL!

Bearchumjs said:
So you spent money, it showed online in your bank account that you spent it, and now it is no longer showing the withdraw? You were not getting a refund correct? I've had something like this happen before and I advise you to not spend that money again. Sometimes a transaction will show in your account but be a pending charge. Then it will disappear but come back in a few days as the actual charge. Keep an eye on your account for a few days. It should appear again.

Crap :/ lol I thought I just got a free 60$.

Yep, it went back to 48 cents today lol. Good news is.. I found 10$ in my pocket today! More to spend on the tank, im such an addict lol.

The bryopsis algae doesn't look much different, but the cyano is going away slowly. Ill keep on dosing..

So.. What would be the best way to enhance my lighting? I have the 120w LEDs, but are there any single strip t5s or something I could get that would supplement them for like 4 hours a day? I love the combo of t5 and led, but I can do halide too... Just need it to fit in the canopy.

If everything is doing fine under your leds, why suppliment? Questioning everything before doing it is key imo...i tend to throw money at problems to solve them. Not always the best practice when trying to save up for a house. But still the same concept in your shoes. Build up that rainy day fund incase of emergency. Yoir tank will love you more by addressing a leak or needing a new sump more than a small t5ho strip now.

Well, I've been finding that a lot of my corals have lost their colors now that the t5s have been off for a while. Heres a pic of my acan when I had them under t5, now they look ugly if I compare them. I know it'd be a good idea to start Saving for other things, and for emergencies, but this shouldn't be too expensive compared to other upgrades I would like to do. Ive been Saving a lot more since I'm getting a permit in a few months and my license in April at the earliest.

Attachments

• image-1014708532.jpg
    image-1014708532.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 66
Hegan has some excellent single t5 fixtures you can get on amazon. By the way, my brother set up his 75 with a combo of T5s and LEDs and his corals look way better with both then with either alone.

Back
Top Bottom