Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well.. I've decided to spend the extra money and raise my mag levels with kent marine. It's going to be a little more than 30$, but I can't stand this. I think it might be killing corals. Pics are coming at some point, I need to get back on track first. I'm going to stop updating as much because I don't have much free time anymore. It'll either be every other week or once a month, unless someone asks a question, then I'll post back.

I don't have a mag issue, I have a small bryopsis issue. That's the easiest/ safest way to cure it. I've also dipped my problem Rock in half h2o2 half sw today.

Oh, so it is a hair algae issue? Can I see a pic? A lawnmower blenny solved my issue along with some manual removal. Why not just remove the rock and either boil it or sun bake it?

Bryopsis isn't exactly hair algae. Nothing eats other than nudis because it is toxic. I'll try to find a pic. I can't boil it because it's everywhere.

Well, the things I ordered came in today. Calcium was 430 mag was 1350, I raised it up to about 1500, I'll raise it more tomorrow, don't want to freak anything out. I also found the beginning of cyano again, yay!!! :I it makes me hate vacations, I'm gone for a week and I have 2 algaes that are hard to get rid of.. Im not skipping any water changes, and I only have three fish.. I dont know what it could be.. Maybe my rodi filter needs replaced?? My levels are good in everything, so I don't know.. I regret buying the hawk now, it all started when I increased the bioload a bit. If I was to change it, I would have a pair of black Darwin clowns and maybe a small goby, or maybe not. I know I sound Whiney, I'm sorry, but this is giving me such a headache.

Ouch! Vacation syndrome strikes again. I recently got a dual inline TDS meter from BRS to add to my RO and it's wonderful. Makes knowing the state of your RO filters so much easier to discern.

Very ironic since we just had this short discussion about filters for RO/DI and tds meters in my thead lol. If it makes you feel better I finally did a water change in my 36 after waiting for a month...>.>...and I have a small cyano bloom going on. Couldn't have done it when there was NO powerhead in there or when I wasn't changing the water...NOOOOO

CorallineAlgae said:
Ouch! Vacation syndrome strikes again. I recently got a dual inline TDS meter from BRS to add to my RO and it's wonderful. Makes knowing the state of your RO filters so much easier to discern.

I'll probably be buying a tds meter, I definitely need one, especially since they are cheapish.

Sniperhank said:
Very ironic since we just had this short discussion about filters for RO/DI and tds meters in my thead lol. If it makes you feel better I finally did a water change in my 36 after waiting for a month...>.>...and I have a small cyano bloom going on. Couldn't have done it when there was NO powerhead in there or when I wasn't changing the water...NOOOOO

I know lol. I'm still not sure if it's my rodi unit though, it just seems like everything is pointing to it. That and my new fish. Oh I thought you sold that? I know what you mean though lol. It's pretty annoying. Luckily I have some red slime remover, I know, don't use chemicals and try naturally, but I've done it once without any negative effects, masking it again hopefully won't harm it either.

needmorecowbell said:
I'll probably be buying a tds meter, I definitely need one, especially since they are cheapish.

That's the main reason I finally got one (price dropped). That and I realized that if I get really good (pricy) prefilters I want to use them for as long as I can but definitely not to long.

Cyanno... I had that once and murdered it for good with a vigorous wave maker and lower stocking of fish and feeding. Doesn't work for everybody though.

Sniperhank said:
I've dosed my tanks several times while trying to get control of the problem at hand. Is it best to go naturally? Yes. Do we need help sometimes? Double yes.

Yep, I agree but some people are very strict about the whole natural thing, which is fine with me, but this has happened before to me and I tried everything I could that was natural and nothing worked.

CorallineAlgae said:
That's the main reason I finally got one (price dropped). That and I realized that if I get really good (pricy) prefilters I want to use them for as long as I can but definitely not to long.

Cyanno... I had that once and murdered it for good with a vigorous wave maker and lower stocking of fish and feeding. Doesn't work for everybody though.

Yeah, it's definitely my next purchase, along with a few 200micron filter socks.

Yep, I tried adding a 750gph ph to my system, fed every other day, but I never lowered my stock. I had three fish at the time though, the scooter blenny died of a collapsed stomach about two months after. I made a time lapse video of it on my YouTube account, it was crazy how well the slime remover worked.

needmorecowbell said:
Yeah, it's definitely my next purchase, along with a few 200micron filter socks.

Yep, I tried adding a 750gph ph to my system, fed every other day, but I never lowered my stock. I had three fish at the time though, the scooter blenny died of a collapsed stomach about two months after. I made a time lapse video of it on my YouTube account, it was crazy how well the slime remover worked.

Yeah, three appropriately sized fish in a 30 certainly shouldn't be considered overstocked. I had 3 fish in my 30L reef and fed, lightly, about 4 times a day for years and never had more than one minor outbreak right at the beginning. Must be something else causing it. Glad to hear the slime remover worked out!

Maybe I just need to be more careful when I feed, I only feed once a day, but it's a whole cube of food that I made with rodi water and a bunch of fancy ingredients. I might get rid of a fish or two and downsize If I truly need to. I just don't see why, my filtration is great too.

needmorecowbell said:
Maybe I just need to be more careful when I feed, I only feed once a day, but it's a whole cube of food that I made with rodi water and a bunch of fancy ingredients. I might get rid of a fish or two and downsize If I truly need to. I just don't see why, my filtration is great too.

A whole cube? I think thats too much adam! I feed a whole cube to MY tank..and ive got some big fishies!

Thatd take all the fun out of it man..dont do it!

Gboy66 said:
A whole cube? I think thats too much adam! I feed a whole cube to MY tank..and ive got some big fishies!

Thatd take all the fun out of it man..dont do it!

I only put in a small scoop of actual food in each cube, I made them myself. It's about 25% food to 75% rodi

I know, but algae also takes the fun out of it.

Adam we all know you love your sps corals and you seem more like a coral guy for sure... My thought is that you get a differant tank for your corals and stock your 30 with fish? I dont know, thats what i would do if i were you.

I would love that, I'd do a ten gallon sps only with a bare bottom, it'd be super easy, but my parents won't let me have another tank. So for now, it's just me my indecisive self :(

Back
Top Bottom