This is wrong right??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
uhhh I hope yinz dont' hate me but afrer about 5 days I am confused. I have a reading of zero on nitrites adn ammonia but it has only been 6 days I am screwing something up right??? Theere is no way it cycled in a week is there??

Thanks

Doan

extremely unlikely. If you need help with cycling your tank, give details
1. Size
2. substrate type
3. LR?
4. Fish currently in tank
5. Filtration?
6. water changes?
Give details Doan....thanks! :D

Hi again Doan,
You're still cycling your LR, right? Was it pre-cured or not when you got it? If it was pre-cured, it may be all cycled by now, but it's still kind of soon.

You said you're using treated tap water also, right? How are you treating the tap water? Does your salt mix have a dechlorinator added or are you using something else? I use Novaqua in my tap water (for my FW tank) but if you use something like Amquel, an ammonia reducer, it messes up the FW cycle. It may also mess up the SW cycle, but I'm not really sure. It also might not hurt to do tests on your tap water. If you use a dechlorinator only, and then test the parameters, and you get a little bit of ammonia, then your tap water has chloramines. A product like Amquel will remove them, but may interfere with the bacteria in the cycle. Also, what test kit are you using? Some test kits measure free ammonia vs total ammonia. If you use Amquel, you have to use a kit that reads total ammonia. If you use a test kit measuring free ammonia, you may get a 0 reading, since that type of test doesn't measure the ammonia bound up by the Amquel. Hope these very late night ramblings help somewhat.

ps. "Yinz!" (y)

if you had "pre-cured" (which in general i think is a method to make you pay a little more for nothing) it is possible you could have cycled. But your tank is still very new and will take up to a year to truly become stable. That doesnt mean dont add anything for a year, but go slow- patience will be rewarded in the long run

Ok you guys thank you for the help sorry for the confusion lets call it 5.5 days:) Ok I am using novaqua conditioner as for test kits well the ammonia is tetra test and the nitrite is uhhhh aquarium pharmceuticals( which I like much better by the way) Lets see. Uhhhh 55 gallon 50 lbs live rock put in monday... coralife aqualight 48" 2 powerheads as well and a fluval 404... gosh I hope that is the info you are looking for...The readings are down from thursday when the ammonia was .25 and so were the nitrites... do I need to recycle what is going on???

The live rock. Was it precured? Did you get it from a LFS that has had the rock in a curing tank for a while or did you get it from another hobbiest. I recall from a previous post that you had to drive it a couple hours so im ruling out that you mailordred it.

If the rock was precured then this is very plausable that your cycle is over.

It was from a huge and I mean Huge fish store in Pittsburgh and it was in a big tank.. It said cured..and then the lady dug through with me and we picked out pieces.. You know what it dosen't matter as long as you guys think nothing is wrong. They said 2 weeks maybe it only took one but I am gonna just keep checking it for at least a week.. Like I have said before I don't wanna kill anything. Really all I want to put in there is cleaning crew so that there is something going on over the holidays while I am gone..

Thanks

Doan

Hey Doaner, I think you got some partially cured rock that just had some die-off to cycle through. It is not uncommon for cured or precured rock to have a short ammonia spike/cycle. I would still just wait a few more days testing everyday and perhaps another water change after the few days of testing and a cleanup crew should be fine.

R-

Hehehe he said "yinz". *heheh*

It's "Pittsburghese" ! Reefnewb has the definintions right on!

Reefnewb, (recognize my avatar?) we come to Indy every summer for a little vacation, but I've never been there around Christmas time. Everything is always so pretty in the summer. I bet downtown is pretty at Christmas too.

Sorry to get off-topic, Doan...where did you get your LR? The only big fish stores I know around here are Elmer's and Wet Pets. They are both nice, but I've never checked out their LR. I was getting FW stuff.

Yeah Yinz is just Pittsburghese for you all....:) I went to Elmers An t-iasg You really ought to check out the LR it was only $4.99 a lb when you bought more than 30 lbs.. So I got 50 lbs for $250.00 and I was just looking at it and the Coarline is already starting to come back... No critters at all though:(

Thanks, Doan... :) I wouldn't give up on your critters yet. You've only had the rock for 5 or 6 days. You may see some soon, as they get acclimated to their surroundings and begin to venture out!

Back
Top Bottom