Timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaheli

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got to go buy the wood/supplies to build my aquarium stand today.. YAY! I am pretty stoked to start working on it tomorrow. Saturday I'm driving to idaho to get southdown sand for the tank. I will also be purchasing some liverock hopefully.. Actually, some of it may be free if I'm lucky...

Here's my question. I have a couple powerheads, I'll have the sand and liverock. Should I cycle the tank WITH the liverock in the tank? Or should I wait for the cycle to complete and THEN put it in? Makes sense to cycle the tank WITH the liverock. My only concern is killing some of the cool tag-alongs on the rock.

Let me know. Thanks

--Micah

Should I cycle the tank WITH the liverock in the tank?

Yes. If you plan on cycling the tank prior to the live rock then you should use some dead shrimp as an ammonia source. if you do cycle with out live rock where did you plan on storing the rock prior to adding it to the tank? Or where you not going to get the rock the same day as the sand?

I'm getting the rock the same day as sand. I'll probably get some live sand as well from the guy. The more I get the more it will help the cycle correct?

Also, if I wasn't going to cycle with the liverock, I was just going to keep it in a 30gal trash can or something... Something with a powerhead and a light.

--Micah

Back
Top Bottom