Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tiny bubbles in the water (not the song)...

I've built in a bubble trap into my sump but I'm still getting lots of tiny bubbles in the DT. I've read some posts where they are the worst thing and some that say no problem.

How else can I get rid of them? And should I even try? Will this clear up after my skimmer breaks in? Thanks...

Steve

Old 10-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I think it will clear up but I`ve had little micro bubbles in my tank for years and it has not bothered corals or fish. I`ve heard others that say it can be a problem but all I can offer is my experience.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would look in your sump and make sure there are not any bubbles getting sucked into your return pump. Every once and a while the water flowing over my last baffle will cause some bubbles that get sucked up.

You can also try moving around your skimmer. Put the out put of the skimmer as far away from your bubble trap/return pump as possible so they microbubbles it produces have as much time as possible to rise to the surface and pop
Old 11-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just this morning I put an ABS trap from the output of the skimmer so basically the output is going down and then straight up. It's a little better in the sump already. I hope. I'll take a look after a few hours and see where it's at.

Steve
Old 11-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mything the Point, Part Three: Conclusion - Reefkeeping.com
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I placed the trap on the output of the skimmer. Still was seeing a lot of bubbles but a little better. So tonight just looking around the sump I decided to play with the flow of the return lines. I have it split. Some into the refugium and the rest into the skimmer chamber. I just slightly closed the main return and bubbles have all but disappeared in the sump and refugium. DT is looking much better as well. Just one little crank on the ball valve and that was it. I know it wasn't detrimental to the tank but I just didn't like it. But now...Sweet. Thanks for the tips...

Steve

Tags
bubble, bubbles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com