Tips for acclimation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am pretty new but I use the technique I saw recommended by everyone on this site. It is the "Drip Method". Put your purchase in a small pail. Use air line with an adjustable valve and set up a siphon from your tank to the pail. Adjust the valve so you have a steady fast drip (not a flow but a drip). Leave it for at least 1/2 hour (some go an hour or hour and a half). This will slowly equal out the temperature of the water and all the other parameters so that when you take the fish from the bucket and put him in the tank it is not a shock. Do not dump the water from the pail into the tanks. Use a small net to make the transfer as quick as you can. Hope that helps.

I'll add on that if you have sensitive inverts or some LPS, it leave just enough water in a cup , bowl, or pail to cover the animal and kind of dunk it into the tank once the dripping is over to avoid contact with the air. Some LPS will pop out of the water and many echinoderms (starfish and cucumbers) don't tolerate exposure to the air very well.

I'll add on that if you have sensitive inverts or some LPS, it leave just enough water in a cup , bowl, or pail to cover the animal and kind of dunk it into the tank once the dripping is over to avoid contact with the air. Some LPS will pop out of the water and many echinoderms (starfish and cucumbers) don't tolerate exposure to the air very well.

Good info. I have barely started on corals and have only done the "Easy" ones so far. :)

for corals i just float the bags for 20-30 minutes and then put them in. i have never dripped a coral.

You said you float them and then put them in the tank.I know you said you don't drip acclimate them.

Back
Top Bottom