Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tips for acclimation?

I was wondering what your technique is?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am pretty new but I use the technique I saw recommended by everyone on this site. It is the "Drip Method". Put your purchase in a small pail. Use air line with an adjustable valve and set up a siphon from your tank to the pail. Adjust the valve so you have a steady fast drip (not a flow but a drip). Leave it for at least 1/2 hour (some go an hour or hour and a half). This will slowly equal out the temperature of the water and all the other parameters so that when you take the fish from the bucket and put him in the tank it is not a shock. Do not dump the water from the pail into the tanks. Use a small net to make the transfer as quick as you can. Hope that helps.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll add on that if you have sensitive inverts or some LPS, it leave just enough water in a cup , bowl, or pail to cover the animal and kind of dunk it into the tank once the dripping is over to avoid contact with the air. Some LPS will pop out of the water and many echinoderms (starfish and cucumbers) don't tolerate exposure to the air very well.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
I'll add on that if you have sensitive inverts or some LPS, it leave just enough water in a cup , bowl, or pail to cover the animal and kind of dunk it into the tank once the dripping is over to avoid contact with the air. Some LPS will pop out of the water and many echinoderms (starfish and cucumbers) don't tolerate exposure to the air very well.
Good info. I have barely started on corals and have only done the "Easy" ones so far.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
for corals i just float the bags for 20-30 minutes and then put them in. i have never dripped a coral.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
for corals i just float the bags for 20-30 minutes and then put them in. i have never dripped a coral.
You don't dip your corals at all?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef

You don't dip your corals at all?
I didn't use to either,until flatworms came in on one,now I dip all of mine before putting in DT.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yes. i dip the sps, but only visually inspect anything else. i said i don't dRip them.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You said you float them and then put them in the tank.I know you said you don't drip acclimate them.

Tags
acclimation, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com