Too much flow in sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the pic of the manifold I built for the 2 overflows for the 150. Now on my 120. See my thread for details on that.

1011641smallwz9.jpg

Sorry Figi I got tied up but Allen hit it on the nose as far as why on a refugium. I dont need to repeat what he said. Mine actually flows too fast. I have a 40 long under mine. It has two lines that drain into the fuge and a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 that return it into the main tank. Thanks for the explanation Allen.

well i went to

Reef Central Online Community

And put in 1200 for the mag 12 and it says i need a hole that is 1.43

My hole is 1.5

Im just concerned about the size of the chamber for the return pump. Is a 5g enough? 12 inches high

You will be fighting with the top off. You do not want to let that chamber go dry or you can burn up your pump. You are looking at daily top-offs for sure with a return section at 5g. Is that 5g working level or 5g total volume?

It would be total vol. :(

But I could make it a bit bigger, reducing the size of my refuge (i really want my refuge as big as possible) :-?

I ordered some float swtiches and bought the stuff to make this

Melevsreef.com - Automatic Top Off System

If I do increase the size of my return it would be by 2.7gallons (cuz i will give it 5 more inches in length, 15x10x12)

Right now I want it to be 10x10x12

I have room ontop of my tank for a rubber bucket. But no more room under my tank.

After the sump. The only room I have left is for wires and stuff

cuz there is a like a shelf area

Thats 1 of the reasons I don't particularly like that sump design...unless the sump is real big. The fuge being divided in it's own section takes away alot of water from the section that evaporation affects.

Can I make my autotop off top off to the DT? But the switch be at my return pump section?

Is that a bit risky?

I have a little room, not for a traditional glass tank

I could make another acrylic container that is 25x5x18. It would fit behind my sump agianst the wall, thats about 10g...

What are your suggestions? :(

I would definitely have an ATO of some kind hooked to that return section of your sump. If you have room for the acrylic container you are talking about then I would go that route. I have to top off 3g a day in my system and if it were not for my ATO I would be in trouble!

Ok Ziggy

so this is what Im gonna do.

I will make a seperate container in the back. Have a small pump in there.

Make the ATO from Melvs site and then put it into my return.

The water in the container will not evaporate as fast as the one in the return because its not moving and not heated right?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp43624/si1379850/cl0/aquariumsystemsminijet606pump

or

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp43624/si1380205/cl0/tomaqualifterpump

What do you use?

I use a small pump I think it's 90gph...with clear tubing. I have a float switch in my sump and when the water level drops it turns the pump on. When the water level is back to normal the float switch shuts the pump off...

Back
Top Bottom