Top fin 46 gal bow front tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a Top fin 46 gal bowfront tank and I was wondering if I could drill the back of the tank (instead of getting an overflow). The problem is that on most bowfront tanks there is a sticker on the bottom that says " TEMPERED GLASS do not drill the bottom of this tank" but on mine the sticker says "TEMPERED GLASS do not drill". Am I to assume that this is just for the bottom of the tank or the whole tank (since it doesn't specify). From what little I know about glass, tempered glass is stronger but not as resitent to impact so it wouldn't make a lot of since for the sides to be made of this. Thanks for any info anyone can give. Just so you know I have call the info number for the company more than once and they couldn't give me a diffinative answer.

wow.....unless you take it somewhere to get it drill professionally I wouldnt attemp it....plsu once you drill it if you ever want to switch then you have to put a cap on the bulkhead and glue is to seal it...one other thing to thing about is with a 46gla, if you drill it to make an internal overflow you will be taking away from the amount of water and space you have for your reef or whatever you choose to do. If you even choose to upgrade you can reuse the overflow on whatever new tank.
my personally advice it to use a overflow.
I suggest do a pro and con list to help you decide....thats what i do :)

Isn't tempered glass the same as safety glass (or at least similar). When it is "worked" it is the one that shatters in to small bits that don't have sharp edges (like in cars).

I really don't think that I would mess with it.

YES tempered means that is will break (or supposed to) in small pieces with no sharp edges. Its hards cause it is heated more then regular glass and harder to cut.

Also I would have it drilled pretty high on the tanks so It wouldn't take more than a few inches of water.

wouldn't it be more reliable to have it drilled though? so I don't have to worry about siphon breaks.

As an alternative, check out the CPR CS (continuous siphon) series of overflow boxes. It has a built in siphon that can be adjusted with screws to set the water level in your tank (no u-tube to mess with). You can also purchase an aqua lifter pump that quickly and easily attaches to the top of the siphon to prevent any siphon breaks. Even if the power goes out and the siphon breaks, when the power comes back on the pump quickly sucks the air out of the top and you're back in business. As an additional plus, you don't have a large box hanging there on the inside of your display tank. I have this set-up on my 72 gal bowfront and it works perfectly every day. Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom