Trace Elements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends, how often do you do water changes? What is in the tank removing them? Typically if you do regular waterchanges (at least monthly) there is no need to replenish the traces, Alcium is a different story.

Is this true?.. I am this close to buying trace elements, iron, and calcium for my MacroAlgae tank that is currently cycling (was going to use the additives when the tank and macroalgaes got settled). I planned on doing water changes once a week (about 10% of a 45G tall).

Electrobes, it really depends on your tank. If you have a huge intake of a particular trace element then dosing can be of benifit. One rule of thumb is to not dose what you dont test. If you dont test for an element then how do you know you need more? When you add more how do you know you did not add to much?

All of these trace elements are in very low amounts, hence the word trace, thus if the elements build up to levels to great they can acutally be a detament to your water quality.

i agree with fishfreek, dont add what you cant test for. My opinion is that most trace element products are a whaste. If you have a particular coral that has a special requirement then i would address that individually. I have added nothing to my tank except water changes and iodine (Kent) because my xenia thrives with it added, and i can test for it. Also i think 10% a week water changes is a little much. Not saying youre doing it wrong just offering another opinion. I usually do about 10-15% a month. JMO

My experience with trace elements, having a fish only tank, is that you don't really need them. But buy a calcium test kit: I have lots of coralline algae and my calcium level had dropped to 325mg/l before I started testing for it.

I also have a iodine/magnesium/strontium supplement but I don't really plan to use that since I don't have any inverts.

Back
Top Bottom