Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ultimate setup

I am thinking about setting up a new tank. If cost werent an issue what would be the ultimate setup for a 70-100g. In terms of ease of use and maintenace. Can you list each piece of equipment i would need?

Old 09-30-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AquariumAdvice

First off, if price wasn't an issue, it would be bigger than 100 gallons... but thats just me! ;o)

for 100 gallong set up, I would go reef.
I would have halogen 10k lights with PC actinics
lights would be in a single enclosure that was tiltable/retractable for easy tank access.
The hood would also be ducted with an external exaughst fan. (Blows the heat out and I don't hear the fan )
The tank would need 2 drilled overflow boxes at the top of the tank
I would have a closed loop with random water output for additional water movement.
I would give the display tank 4-5 inches of argonite sand
I would have at least 3-4 different types of live rock and I would use all live rock, no base (since cost isn't a factor...) I would put probably 150-200 pounds of said live rock in the tank

A sump of 50 gallons with a built in refugium
the sump would have 6-8 inches of the same sand as well as a ton of macro-algae
The sump would also have LR to suppliment the LR in the display
There would be chambers in the sump that would be adjustable to control how much water flowed through them. These chambers would be used for bags of GAC or other occasional filter media use.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks. thats exactly the kind of info im looking for.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
lights would be in a single enclosure that was tiltable/retractable for easy tank access.
This sounds intresting.. and Im not quite sure what your talking about or if Ive seen an example of such an lighting enclosure. Maybe Im just misunderstanding your idea on this and its a common fixture but could you give us a link for an example for clarification?
TIA
Old 10-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyZ
This sounds intresting.. and Im not quite sure what your talking about or if Ive seen an example of such an lighting enclosure. Maybe Im just misunderstanding your idea on this and its a common fixture but could you give us a link for an example for clarification?
TIA
If I could link you into my noggen... well ok, I still wouldn't... but that's the only place I've seen my ideal hood as well.

Basically my idea came from an "Aqua-tainment Center" design I started building. Think of an entertainment center for a projection TV. Book shelves and such on either side, with the aquarium centered in the piece with cabinets below and above. Excet where the TV normally is, I'm putting my aquarium. The cabinets above the aquarium would actually be the housing for the lighting fixture. Since it would be supported and anchored to the rest of teh entertainment center, there would be a lot more flexability for mounting, etc.

My thought was that the cabinet doors would actually lift up on a locking hinge. This would provide adequate access to the top of the tank for normal maintenance. The lights would be suspended above from the bottom of a sliding shelf. It would slide straight out and, if I could find the right hardware, would also tilt upwards to provide easy direct access to the bulbs and wiring.

Here's a link to the original DIY thread,
http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic....=center+centre

note that the project is on hold indefinetly

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com