uncured rock clearification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I haven't started to cycle my new tank yet but am concidering cycling it with uncured live rock. Is this a good idea, will it contaminate my water? What would you do with the rock before placing theuncured rock into the tank. Will I get alot of unwanted critters from the rock?

IMO If you have no fish, that is the best way to start. The tank will go nuts with high Ammonia followed by high Nitrites. They say you get a better Bacteria base this way. It takes about 30 days. As far as the critters, depending on where you get the LR it will have alot of dead stuff, and most of the critters are gone too. Just clean the visible dieoff and let it ride...

I cyled mine with live rock. The smell in the house was kinda bad for a bit, but it worked fine for me. Someone will come along shortly and tell you about the related water changes while cycling this way. Can't do too much but gotta do some, I think. I don't remember to well (ya see, I got CRS ["S" means "stuff", of course] sometime :roll: ), but I don't think I changed mine until after the spikes.

As far as unwanted critters, some may be wanted. Diversity is a cool thing. Maybe you'll have time maybe to find'm and deal with them without any fish yet. Some say that's the fun of live rock. Mine didn't come with a lot of critters, so maybe someone else can help you there, but maybe a couple of things I've heard of are bad, like certain worms or the dreaded mantis.

i was gonna cycle my tank taht way, but the guy at my lfs told me that they smell of the decaying material for a few weeks would be pretty rancid, also he told me its really not worth it and that buying cured liverock is better even though that isnt even really worht the money in the end because the "live" part will prolly mostly die off in curing stage and there will be very lil left, basically the smell and dirtyness of curing in a tank isnt worth the end result

Its fine to cycle with uncured rock. But you should still scrub it lightly to remove any large pieces of dead material. Too much ammonia will slow your cycle.

Back
Top Bottom