Update on my flourescent lime algae..need some help fast!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I scrubbed my bright lime algae off of the areas that I could. It is only on the seams of my glass tank? Not the glass? Some parts of it had little brown dots. It came off rather easily BUT now my seems are stained lime bright green!!! The top lip of my tank is also stained because there I can see the silicone. I JUST got this tank and it is in a room where it gets the attention. You can see the stains from 50 feet away!!!

I covered the ends of the tank with black paper too. I did the usual tests and everything seems normal. I still have to get the other test kit that does phosphate etc.

I am going on vacation. What can I do to stop this problem before I go?

:)

Courtney

I am going on vacation. What can I do to stop this problem before I go?

Nothing really. You might want to make sure the lights stay off while you are gone so they don't add to the problem, but you arent going to fix it before you go.

You should not need much lighting during your cycle. Mrs Hara is right when she said cut the lights. Can you post some readings on your water test. By the way welcome to AA :flasingsmile: :flasingsmile: :flasingsmile:

I was able to scrape off my bright algae, but how do I get the green stain off of the silicone that is bonding my glass tank?

Two LFS had no clue how to get it off. It looks awful, like the color of green slime. ewwww.

What the #$&^ is this stuff???

Hmmm...I called the manufacturer of the tank, fujomoto?, and they didnt have a clue either. Not one LFS said they know anything about this neon, glow in the dark algae that grows or knows a thing about it. Has anybody ever had this stuff? Seriously looks like it could glow in the dark.

My roomie took care of my tank for 5 days and left the light on, now I have all brown algae. So Im assuming that the lime green wasnt caused by light???

If you have any clue what this stuff is, why it grows on only my seems and not my glass, please send me a message.

Thanks!

Sounds like you have "caulerpa" algae.

Dont worry about it, wont harm your tank. This type of algae can have many colours from lime green too bulish brown.

Many people find this a desirable form of algae.

Thats my guess anyway, can u get some pics posted?

I cant add pics, my pc is not updated and I cant hook up my usb cable.
hmmmmmm

Got a hermit crab, mithrax (?) crab and some snails for the brown algae. Think I need more though.

Back
Top Bottom