Upgraded lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gza166

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I had to update my lighting due to my ballast on the eclipse hood going out. So I spent the money for a glass top and a two 24" t5 bulb with a super daylight and actinic bulb. Where should I place my button polyp frag?

Ok thanks, and with that kind of lighting what kind of corals can I get

I'm sorry Gza, I don't remember what size tank or how deep yours is, but a 2-bulb unit will only be sufficient for soft corals, Mushrooms, Kenya tree, Leathers, maybe some zoos-high up on the rocks.

A 2-bulb unit, on an 18" deep tank is barely going to be able to do even soft corals.
I would put the Buttons up high on the rocks. Mushrooms would be your safest bet with this light.
If you could put a 4-bulb, you could keep any soft corals and many different LPS.

Ok sounds good. I just wanted to start small since I'm new at this so polyps and mushrooms are fine with me. Also right now I only have the fluval going and I plan on putting a hang on slimmer do I need it right away? Clarkii clownfish sleeper gold head goby firefish goby and a scooter blenny. Clean up crew and one polyp

Gza166 said:
Ok sounds good. I just wanted to start small since I'm new at this so polyps and mushrooms are fine with me. Also right now I only have the fluval going and I plan on putting a hang on slimmer do I need it right away? Clarkii clownfish sleeper gold head goby firefish goby and a scooter blenny. Clean up crew and one polyp

I've seen beautiful tanks that were mostly various types of shrooms. They were my favorites when I started!
I would get the skimmer whenever you can. They really help a lot. They oxygenate the water and remove waste before it can become ammonia, and therefore help keep nitrates down. Fish can tolerate nitrates to a degree, but reef or FO, nitrates are never a good thing.

Ok thanks again! You are very helpful and I appreciate you answers

Back
Top Bottom