Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Uv sterilizer

Hi I was wondering if anyone has a uv sterilizer, hooked up to there system. And what you think about them, I'm thinking if I'll get one when I setup my tank dt will be 150 gallon. Any advice suggestions comment please feel free to reply.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone has a uv sterilizer, hooked up to there system. And what you think about them, I'm thinking if I'll get one when I setup my tank dt will be 150 gallon. Any advice suggestions comment please feel free to reply.
Great for killing algae blooms and if you slow the flow thru it down to under 200/gph it will also kill parasites definately a plus if you have room for it

Old 12-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo View Post
They have their advantages and disadvantages. Honestly ive never encountered a time when i needed one or wanted one.

For reef tanks i think they do more harm than good, fish only tanks is where they have the most usefullness.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
They have their advantages and disadvantages. Honestly ive never encountered a time when i needed one or wanted one.

For reef tanks i think they do more harm than good, fish only tanks is where they have the most usefullness.

I agree with this, I don't like to have UV on my reef tank as there should be other way to keep your tank crystal clear.

As for UV to kill parasite in the water, the proper QT should replace a UV at 99% of the time. If you do want to keep 1 on you tank, only turn it up when having issues.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post

What are the disadvantages¿
Old 12-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

UV will kill both beneficial and harmful bacteria, and also free flowing plankton are food source which will also be killed during the process
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709 View Post
UV will kill both beneficial and harmful bacteria, and also free flowing plankton are food source which will also be killed during the process
I disagree it dont " kill " anything it renders single cell organisms steril so they cant reproduce it doesnt effect bb as bb lives on the lr and ls and such and is not a freefloating organism has no effect on larger pods small " newborn pods " maybe and i dont know if id even say that it sterilizes microscopic bacteria and parasites and also sterilizes freefloating algae blooms so imo it is a good piece of equipment to add for even better waterquality as a sterilzer user ill say i have seen no negative effects whatsoever
Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

I disagree it dont " kill " anything it renders single cell organisms steril so they cant reproduce it doesnt effect bb as bb lives on the lr and ls and such and is not a freefloating organism has no effect on larger pods small " newborn pods " maybe and i dont know if id even say that it sterilizes microscopic bacteria and parasites and also sterilizes freefloating algae blooms so imo it is a good piece of equipment to add for even better waterquality as a sterilzer user ill say i have seen no negative effects whatsoever
However I do agree a quarintine should eradicate 99% of the problems but for me sterilizer is just an extra measure as i have 150g dt And a 65g fragtank in same system i buy sell and trade coral often so i never know whats gonna come in so for me personally i like the benefits but i will say it does not replace a good quarintine
Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always say if you can afford one get one it can't hurt it could only help. I use an aqua ultraviolet on mine , they make some of the best uv's out there.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have one too, have had for a year now and havnt seen any disadvantages, my water is a lot clearer though

Tags
uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com