Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 183
Uv sterilizer

Hi I was wondering if anyone has a uv sterilizer, hooked up to there system. And what you think about them, I'm thinking if I'll get one when I setup my tank dt will be 150 gallon. Any advice suggestions comment please feel free to reply.
__________________

__________________
solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone has a uv sterilizer, hooked up to there system. And what you think about them, I'm thinking if I'll get one when I setup my tank dt will be 150 gallon. Any advice suggestions comment please feel free to reply.
Great for killing algae blooms and if you slow the flow thru it down to under 200/gph it will also kill parasites definately a plus if you have room for it
__________________

__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone has a uv sterilizer, hooked up to there system. And what you think about them, I'm thinking if I'll get one when I setup my tank dt will be 150 gallon. Any advice suggestions comment please feel free to reply.
They have their advantages and disadvantages. Honestly ive never encountered a time when i needed one or wanted one.

For reef tanks i think they do more harm than good, fish only tanks is where they have the most usefullness.
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
oyf709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
They have their advantages and disadvantages. Honestly ive never encountered a time when i needed one or wanted one.

For reef tanks i think they do more harm than good, fish only tanks is where they have the most usefullness.

I agree with this, I don't like to have UV on my reef tank as there should be other way to keep your tank crystal clear.

As for UV to kill parasite in the water, the proper QT should replace a UV at 99% of the time. If you do want to keep 1 on you tank, only turn it up when having issues.
__________________
We Provide LED Solution For Your Aquarium..
Click the Signature for more information.
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/w...09/aqled-1.gif
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post

They have their advantages and disadvantages. Honestly ive never encountered a time when i needed one or wanted one.

For reef tanks i think they do more harm than good, fish only tanks is where they have the most usefullness.
What are the disadvantages¿
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
oyf709's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 645
UV will kill both beneficial and harmful bacteria, and also free flowing plankton are food source which will also be killed during the process
__________________
We Provide LED Solution For Your Aquarium..
Click the Signature for more information.
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/w...09/aqled-1.gif
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyf709 View Post
UV will kill both beneficial and harmful bacteria, and also free flowing plankton are food source which will also be killed during the process
I disagree it dont " kill " anything it renders single cell organisms steril so they cant reproduce it doesnt effect bb as bb lives on the lr and ls and such and is not a freefloating organism has no effect on larger pods small " newborn pods " maybe and i dont know if id even say that it sterilizes microscopic bacteria and parasites and also sterilizes freefloating algae blooms so imo it is a good piece of equipment to add for even better waterquality as a sterilzer user ill say i have seen no negative effects whatsoever
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

I disagree it dont " kill " anything it renders single cell organisms steril so they cant reproduce it doesnt effect bb as bb lives on the lr and ls and such and is not a freefloating organism has no effect on larger pods small " newborn pods " maybe and i dont know if id even say that it sterilizes microscopic bacteria and parasites and also sterilizes freefloating algae blooms so imo it is a good piece of equipment to add for even better waterquality as a sterilzer user ill say i have seen no negative effects whatsoever
However I do agree a quarintine should eradicate 99% of the problems but for me sterilizer is just an extra measure as i have 150g dt And a 65g fragtank in same system i buy sell and trade coral often so i never know whats gonna come in so for me personally i like the benefits but i will say it does not replace a good quarintine
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 1,321
I always say if you can afford one get one it can't hurt it could only help. I use an aqua ultraviolet on mine , they make some of the best uv's out there.
__________________
tonedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Smudgy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hampshire UK
Posts: 50
I have one too, have had for a year now and havnt seen any disadvantages, my water is a lot clearer though
__________________

__________________
Smudgy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
uv sterilizer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.