Water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
sorry for all the posts..:) I post as I think of things..and one thing I haven't seen much about is water changes with a dsb.. I had the old crushed coral some years ago and I had a syphon that sucked and sifted the substrate..now how goes it in a dsb.. I have bought a couple of books..looks like I need to find better books. :)

Just siphon the trash off the top off the sand. No need to mix it up. :wink:

PS. Do not aplogize for wanting to learn! This is why we are here..... :D Post all the questions you want too. Also you can search for topics using the search tool. If you cant find it or need a quick answer, well you know what to do... :wink:

If done correctly you will loose minimal sand. You will however loose some. It also depends on what you are using. :wink:

I have heard and seen people using power heads to keep the gunk off the bottem and suspended in the water for the filter to pick it up. I would imagine it would take some time to perfect it so that you didn't tear up your sand bottom.

You take the gravel vac and barely go over the top of the sand. It will suck up little of the sand, and all of the waste. I did this one time, then bought a huge clean up crew with a bunch of different types of hermits and snails.

I would suggest that you obtain a larger clean up crew. The more varity you have in your clean up crew, the better job they will do.

mjvincent said:
My sand bottom stays pretty clean with hermits and snails.

Ditto that. I actually have to add sinking pellets to make sure they have enough to eat, esp the nassarius snails.

Back
Top Bottom