water turn over question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright then i just want to start off and say how helpul these forums have been.Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!! Now on to my next big task ahead of me. I am seting uo a 30 gal Bowfront reef tank and I will be using a Marine land bio wheel that has a out put of 150 gallons an hour. I plan on using two marine land power heads with a flow rate of 150 G/P a piece and finally a seaclone protien skimmer that is rated a 125 G/P. Now if my math is correct i will be moving about 575 G/P. This will turn my tank over about 16 times in an hour. Is this flow rate enough?? Or is it to much or not enough??
thanks,
Ben

Dnt know about the turnover rate thing, but if i may make a suggestion, don't get the seaclone skimmer. they are junk, and will wind up making you pay more, than if you just got a good one like a reef octopus, or another trusted brand. JMO.

so what does on of those bad boys run and wheres the best place to buy them

Try aquacave, a skimmer is not required on a tank that small as pwc will accomplish the same thing. IMO, not enough movement, I aim for 20x-30x turnover per hour, I have 55x turnover per hour in my 20g :) . I agree, seaclones are junk, make a nice fuel for a fir from what I have heard ;) .

Haha, very true. I didn't even notice the fact that the tank was a 30Gal, and so with that now known, i 100% agree with thom. You really do not need a skimmer at all. Having live rock will provide all the biological filtration you need, and then partial water changes will take care of the rest.

Back
Top Bottom