What are some good books on a frist time setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am thinkign that eventually I will want to do a saltwater tank. However I have no real knowadge of them and I woudl liek to read up on them and how to properly set them up and doo all the right things. I woudl also liek to get some information on the different types of saltwater setups and what not.

Is there a book or two out there that are good to read for thsi information. Lookign for what you guys would recomend?

IMO the book for you is "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner .

You can find a link to amazon's website in our Book Library.

"The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael S. Paletta is an ok book but the one above by Fenner IMO is much better. Or at least has alot more information within it.

I also like "Natural Reef Aquariums" by John H. Tullock, its good if you are aiming for a reef tank. Its also available at amazon etc.

I second The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. This book was pretty informative and helped make sense of some of the things I read on the web. After reading it I felt I had enough info/general understanding to start asking specific questions on my set up. I am now very close to having my 225 ready to upgrade to a reef. Just have to dish out the money for the MH's and I am good to go.

I started out with The Simple Guide to Marine Aquariums it was a nice started book for me since I didn't know where to start reading. I then bought the CMA book that everyone above suggested. I have also heard people suggest Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies but since I have never personally read it do not know how good it is information wise.

If you are interested in a book with plenty of info on just marine fish, you should check out "Marine Fishes" by Scott W. Michaels.

IMO it's a great guide on most fish available. It has all the essential info such as compatibility, fish size, fish care, feeding & foods, and best of all... lots and lots of pictures!

Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies

The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta

Your First Marine Aquarium: Everything About Setting Up a Marine Aquarium, Aquarium Conditions and Maintenence, and Selecting Fish and Invertebrates (Barron's Complete Pet Owner's Manuals) by John H. Tullock

Setting Up A Saltwater Aquarium : An Owner's Guide to a Happy Healthy Pet by Gregory Skomal

Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species by Scott W. Michael

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists by Robert M. Fenner, Christopher Turk

Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms by John H. Tullock, Martin A. Moe

Just to name a few :wink:

If you need more info email me at admin@customaquariumdesigns.com

Another one of my favorites is "Reef Secrets" by Nilsen and Fossa. It has tons of great pictures, and info about coral reefs plus a stocking guide for corals, inverts, and fish.

BTW, people here seem to be recommending Amazon.com for these books, and thats fine because Amazon will usually have any book you could possibly think of, but for saltwater aquaria books you should check out marinedepot.com they are much cheaper than Amazon! I've ordered from them many many times with all good experiences.

BTW, people here seem to be recommending Amazon.com for these books, and thats fine because Amazon will usually have any book you could possibly think of, but for saltwater aquaria books you should check out marinedepot.com they are much cheaper than Amazon! I've ordered from them many many times with all good experiences.

I did some checking and Amazon.com is easily the cheapest for these books. BigAlsOnline was cheaper than marinedepot.com. JMO

I recomend amazon for two reasons.

First each amazon sale that comes from an amazon link on this site earns us between 5-15% of teh sale price. This helps pay expenses.

Second, amazon allows you to not only buy a new book but if you want you can go to their marketplace and pickup a used book for even less.

Ok Freek. I am not goign to get one just yet but I might in the future when I have the money to look at a saltwater setup.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom