What are your thoughts on starting a tank this way.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesR

Aquarium Advice Freak
Setting up a nano cube (which I haven’t bought yet) and would like to know if this would work………

Buy 25 lbs of LR from liverocks.com (several lbs would be rubble for filtration) and cure it over the next few weeks. Then save my $ and buy the nanocube, add some sand from my existing setup and some Live Sand from LFS.

Once the cube arrives, set it up with the cured LR, sand, heater, PH and water from my existing tank.

If I set it up this way, I would not expect a cycle and should be able to add stuff after a week or so setting it up. Do you agree?

OR……………would I be better off getting the nano, then adding the LR and letting it cycle the tank.

I would appreciate any opinions/thoughts.
Jim

I would get the Nano tank first and use that to cycle the lr. It would be easier, and prevent additional die-off from the lr.

Mike

especially because LR.com stuff typically comes ready for use...there won't be die off, so you likely won't have to cure it.

I would get the nano first as well. The LR from lr.com will have very little die off. Do not think about "curing" it in the conventional sense. Put it in the tank and be ready to do several small water changes to control what little ammonia spike you may have. Do not let the ammonia build up too much as it could kill a lot of the life on the LR. The just give it time to stabalize.

That is the wonderful benefit of using liverocks.com. You get all kinds of life on the rock, so you definitely don't want to lose any. Water changes will definitely be a plus.

Mike

Cool, thanks a lot folks. I've heard such great things about liverocks.com that i think part of the reason for the tank is to get some of their LR.

I'll get the tank first.............thanks again!!!!!!!!! If anyone knows of a good deal as the where to find a good price, please let me know. I've seen em for $150 on ebay w/$23 shipping.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom