Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Judge92 View Post
That's why I'm asking now...
I'm not planning on getting anything like tomorrow. I'm just interested. But if you don't want to give any advice thanks anyways.
My advice is to do the 10g as a FW tank and get as big of a tank as you can get for your SW tank...10g is very hard for even an old timer.

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
Saltwater is more expensive to setup but relatively cheap to maintain. In my experience if a saltwater tank is setup properly it can actually be less maintenance than freshwater since it is a more complete and balanced system. I have had many people say the same thing. They had been in freshwater for years and avoided saltwater. When they finally did it they were surprised at how easy it was if it is setup and maintained. Set it up right and do the water changes and you will avoid most of the problems out there.

Bigger is better but it is vital to stay with the size tank you can do properly. Even though you may be able to do a 55, it is not the best option if you can't afford to do it properly. I have seen many people trying to maintain tanks bigger than they can really handle and they have more problems than if they just did a smaller tank better.

Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Yea, I learned about bigger being better just in general since it's easier to keep the parameters in check. Didn't think about it being that much harder for SW lol. Well I'll take a look at those articles and probably stick with the FW for a 10g for now

That'll still be a while from now lol. Probably when I go off to college

Judge92 is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com